Redoing substrate and lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshallc

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm debating on redoing the substrate in my 55 gallon tank.

Right now I'm using 100% pool filter sand I've used it before worked good but I think in the end I wasn't happy with how it looked as well as how my plants looked.

As of now I do not run co2 but am planning on it very soon. Dosing excel.

As much as I like the sand I want to go for a much better substrate.

Would it be easier to drain the tank and scoop all the sand out while putting the fish in my spare tank. Or leaving it partially filled and siphon the sand out?

For my lighting question.

These are the lights I'm currently running
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
I seem to have algae problems with all 4 bulbs on so I only run the 2 at least until I can get co2. Should I keep all 4 bulbs or could I possibly put other bulbs in to get better growth and color.
I have turned it down to only running 6 hours a day now while everything settles down.

Yea I have a extra 40 gallon that I put them in when I had to clean the tank out not to long ago. Had a horrible outbreak of cyano from when we went on vacation and could never get it under control.

as far as the substrate question if you have a powerfull enough siphon then go for it but other then that when i went from play sand to tahetian moon sand (look so much nicer imo) i drained the tank temp housed the fishies and scooped the sand out. are you capping another substarte with the sand or is it just straight sand?

and now for the lighting issue. no donot put another buld in. it is my understanding that some algeas can use a wider range on the spectrum so even if you swaped two bulbs out for say floramax bulbs you will still get alot of algea growth. i wold say that the issue might not be the light as much as excess nutrients in the water. what are you parmeters and your wc schedual.

you should seek out oldscales or rivercats, they have really helped me turn all of my tanks around.

It's all sand atm I'm thinking of going with either Eco complete or equivalent still doing research on that. Not sure if ill cap it with anything or just leave it as it is.

I try to do at least a 25% every week with 50% at least once a month but with work and my kids I can get distracted lol.

I was running a fluval 405 before but I had some pieces break during the big clean and I had a brand new 306 just sitting around so now I'm using it.

When you say your going for co2, are you going for pressurzied/DIY co2 or liquid co2?
I personally love flourite. It is kind of between gravel and sand. They do have a sand version of it though.

If you do switch the two bulbs out for something that promotes plant growth more, algae will spread as fast as well but if you have pressurized/DIY co2, it should stop most of the algae from growing.

I've tried the diy co2 but with it being a 55 I didn't see much results so I'm going pressurized. Thinking of getting the Milwaukee rig my friend had one and said it worked great

Ok cool. I just did pressurized co2 as well :)
I've heard good and bad reviews on the Milwaukee. If you do paintball canisters (what I did) you can use the aquatek co2 regulator mini. The only reason I did paintball is because I can fill them up for a relaly cheap price of $4 at my local sports authority.

Yea I thought about using paintball as I can get them filled free but gonna see what my options are soon

Co2 is decently worth the start up cost in decreased algae growth and increased plant growth.

As far as substrate I do an3 in bed of flourite with a 1 in cap of caribsea Tahitian moon sand black the flourite is great for the plants and the sand cap helps anchors and is easy to plant in.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391563680.959868.jpg

Yea I really like the black sand and how it makes some colors really pop. I finally broke down and painted the back of my tank black. I'll see if I have any pictures. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391564157.889536.jpg
That's right after the cycle finished. I've only added a few plants since and gave away most of my stock. All plants from before had to be trashed from the cyano. But I like having a fresh start. We've since added a few fish and a bigger piece of driftwood

HI Marshall,
Nice tank! Yeah, Richard's substrate set up he describes would be great for plants and easy to work with. If budget is not so much of a concern, you could splurge and get all Eco Complete Black Fine grade. I just did a rescape with it two weeks ago and I'm surprised how quickly my plants are setting roots in it. I think it's because it doesn't compact as tight as sand. A tip. Whichever way you go, be sure and stick root tabs around right after putting in. This gives any substrate a nutrient boost right away. Good luck, OS.

Thank you I'm also looking up ferts to start using when I do go pressurized which should be the end of this month. Gotta love that tax money. Everywhere I look seems to be a bit confusing though

Look at Green Leaf Aquarium's Dry Ferts. Either the PPS-Pro or the EI packages. Very cost effective for your sized tank and customizable as to what you dose. OS.

I use gla pps-pro I separate the nitrates from the phosphates. To begin you would want to get the $30 package it comes with 2 500 ml dosing bottle I would buy a third for trates separation also get a phosphate and gh and kh test kit.

Awesome I will definitely check those out.

OS, have you ever used the Milwaukee regulator? Haven't seen many kits for the same price

Back
Top Bottom