Regulator or pH Controller Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my pH controller won't shut off once it gets to set point. When I plug in - or unplug the regulator, I don't hear any 'click'. Any idea where I could start to fix this issue? I just re-calibrated the probe last night and it seems to be working O.K. Thoughts? The regulator is AquaTek and controller is new Milwaukee MC-122. Whole unit has been running for about 1 year.

This is the same thing we were discussing in another thread right? Any reason you made a new one?

When I plug in - or unplug the regulator, I don't hear any 'click'.

That's a stuck solenoid.

Could be broken, could just have some junk in you. You can try to blast it out by unplugging it from your CO2 line (at the regulator), opening the needle valve all the way, and blowing out some high velocity gas to dislodge anything that might be in it (with the solenoid plugged in, of course), and then see if it closes. If that doesn't work, you should be able to disassemble it and try to find where the problem is. Even if you don't find it, often disassembly/reassembly can free up something.

Alternately, if it's a fairly new setup you can contact the manufacturer and see what they say (or if they'll send you a new one).

I had the same problem although I didn't have a pH controller so I concluded my solenoid or regulator was the issue. Gas would come out all the time even when it was unplugged. I took it apart and put it back together and it has worked perfectly ever since!

Sorry Aqua_Chem, I did start a new thread just wanting information detailed to this issue. Your information was spot on. I took the four screws out and things looked cleaned and just re-assembled. After contacting AquaTek, they told me the same. So I get up this morning and it happened again. Now it worked all day yesterday just fine, but overnight it must have kept running. So I just re-assembled it, cleaned it best I could, re-assembled, plugged in to get the "click" and just now put it back on CO2 tank. Hopefully this time it will work. If not, I may be looking for new solenoid. Just for the sake of conversation, what is good brand?

Did you remove all the parts and put them all back together? I think it's the spring inside it that causes it to get locked open, so if you didn't get to that, you might need to reopen it. If they're still not working, you might add a touch of DW40 as a desperation move.

Regarding replacements, you could probably buy an Aquatak solenoid somewhere to keep it simple. Alternately, I hear clippard makes a nice solenoid, but I've never used it.

I did just that and took the pieces (spring, and shaft portion) back out, again, and put some WD40 around pieces. Re-assemble and plugged it in, "click", and got it hooked up. Hope maybe thay will relieve any possible sticking scenarios.

Sorry for late response, but things seem to be working now. The WD40 helped I believe. Now my next question, can we full proof a CO2 system so this doesn't happen? Can one place timer inbetween CO2 plug and controller? The CO2 would stay at particular level, once running, but be shut off at night?

I'm not sure what you're describing. You want to put the solenoid before the regulator? Or run two solenoid?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking where the outlets are located. My thought was to place a timer inbetween the regulator outlet and the controller plug in. My thought was to have CO2 "on" when lights are "on", then be off (by timer) when lights are "off".

The CO2 can still leak with this thought because its the switch that can stay open.

I'm curious if there is anyway to "safe-proof" an automatic system so even if switch is open, the flow would be little to none.

When you say timer, you mean the solenoid that plugs into the timer right? Same thing with controller plugin?

Correct. Plug the regulator/solenoid into a wall timer which would then be plugged into the pH controller.

It would work so long as you're probe doesn't lose its presets when you unplug it. I'm not sure if they will or not since I didn't use one.

Back
Top Bottom