Removal of the Malaysian Trumpet Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
assassin snails did the best job for me. put a few in, they won't overrun your tank and will take care of the MTS problem.

The only thing with assissin snails is once you add them you can never add any other type of snails to your tank. Another way is to trap them. All you need is a jar and algae tablets. Lay the jar on it's side in the bottom of the tank and put an algae tablet or two in it towards the back. In an hour or two go out and remove the jar and snails by slowly standing the jar right side up and removing it. You'd be amazed how many you can remove doing this method.

Not really, just stating a fact most people don't think about. Had a friend who used assissins for a snail problem and after not seeing any for 3 years decided to add some nerites and found they still had assissin snails left. While assissin snails prefered diet is snail they can exsist as scavangers in a tank.

its just a fact I hadn't ever though about. Personally, i've never had an urge to put a snail in my tank. I had a pond snail and MTS infestation a few years ago. With the assassin snails the pond snails dissappeared in a few days, the MTS eventually became unseen (but still present to a degree).

Yesterday I changed my rocks up in my mbuna tank (where I added a couple assassins due to MTS that must have crawled through the house from my planted tank) and I found one of them. This guy was huge, probably 3/4 inch long.

If you feed and maintain appropriately, you're snail population should be at a manageable level. Elimination of them isn't really a practical option for most tanks, but in my opinion they're a healthy part of the ecosystem.

I have a healthy population of MTS's in my 220g, much heavier than in the smaller non dirted tanks and personally I like them and also feel they are part of the eco-system of my tank.

You could always add a sidthmuntki loach. They are small, awesome to watch, and great snail hunters. Including mts, they do a great job keeping my 125 in check.

I have a healthy population of MTS's in my 220g, much heavier than in the smaller non dirted tanks and personally I like them and also feel they are part of the eco-system of my tank.

I agree. I keep them in all my tanks and have given hundreds to friends setting up tanks.

You could always add a sidthmuntki loach. They are small, awesome to watch, and great snail hunters. Including mts, they do a great job keeping my 125 in check.

I have yo-yo loaches in my 220g heavily planted and while they will eat any pond snail they find they don't even attempt to eat the nerites and MTS's. Good thing I like them!

My clown loach can't get into mts but my sidthmuntki are so much smaller they slurp them out every chance they get.

Back
Top Bottom