Rena Canister Filter Users - how often to change the filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
This question is for people with canister filters, more specifically Rena Canister filters.

How often to you change the filters? i have just been rinsing them out in tank water since i have owned it, but i think the time might be here to replace them.....

Side info: Rena XP3 on 55 Gallon

TIA

I use filter floss in mine, and replace it every month. I haven't replaced either set of sponges yet and it's been 15 months.

TwoHobbies said:
I use filter floss in mine, and replace it every month. I haven't replaced either set of sponges yet and it's been 15 months.

Ditto. My sponges don't seem to clog up with filter floss in the mix.

Folks,
My top filter pad get clogged every few months. Which tray do you put the filter floss and how often do you change the filter floss? I have course sponge tray, medium sponge tray, top tray with bio chem zorb, ceramic rings, topped with a filter pad. The top filter pad gets clogged reducing water flow. thanks

In my XP2 I have, starting at the bottom. Course sponge, fine sponge, filter floss, ceramic rings. I change 30-50% water each week and if the return rate is weak from the spray bar at that time I replace the floss. Usually once every 4-8 weeks.

You only need about a 1" layer. If you pack it to tight if will greatly reduce the flow from the filter.

I've used my xP1 for over two years now and the 20ppi and 30ppi filter pads are as good as when they were first purchased. I clean my Filstar the first week of each month and rinse them out in tank water and replace the micro-filtration pad.

Back
Top Bottom