Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Request for colorful plants!

I look at my tank, which I now feel comfortable saying I can manage ferts/algae/CO2. But I still have that blah feeling because all of my plants are shades of green. My rotala gets red when it reaches the surface (I assume due to lower nitrAtes), but that's it.

I have stargrass, java fern, anubias, moneywort, christmas moss, lace java fern, sunset hygro (again all green because I have ample nitrAtes), Riccia, and another plant I can never remember the name. But they are all just shades of GREEN!

Does anyone have some colorful plants that are not difficult to grow? I have ~4wpg lighting, and dose all ferts, so I'm covered on that angle. Soft water requiring plants will probably not do well in my tank (probably the only caveat I can think of).

Thanks!

EDIT:

Pic taken 2 minutes ago for reference. Yes I need to trim the stargrass (its been about 5 days since the last trim ). The tank normally is much brighter but the stargrass is starting to block a lot of the light:

Old 02-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would recommend Ludwigia brevipes and Cryptocoryne wendtii.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are red rotalas (that stay red/maroon) that look very nice. I also have a couple of strains of multi-color vals in my tank, and I have liquid rock that flows from my faucets
Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I JUST clipped my ludwigia broad leaf! if you want to wait a week or so I can send you some. they are a nice, deep red in color
CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Limnophila Aromatica if you can get it, I find it absolutely beautiful. Also Ludwiga Glandulosa and Alt. Reinekki if you can grow them.

Red plants are kinda mysterious.. but the ones I listed very rarely ever go green. (and can be harder to grow, ymmv.)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
I would recommend Ludwigia brevipes and Cryptocoryne wendtii.
Plantgeek has the Ludwigia as a very demanding plant. I don't think I want quite that difficult to grow. And the crypt looks green?

blazeyreef, What species is the broadleaf you're referring to?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz, The first one you listed does indeed look very unique, but I'm a bit concerned about the difficult requirement. I know my tank's lighting level changes on a daily basis from the stargrass growth, and would be concerned that a picky plant wouldn't do well.

Am I asking for the impossible (a reddish or other non-green plant) that is relatively easy to grow?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I really didn't find the Ludwigia brevipes all that difficult to grow. As long as you're giving it High Light, CO2, and ferts it should be perfectly happy. The majority of plants turn green in my tanks, but that was one of the ones that didn't.

Many Crypts will turns shades of red/brown under hight light. Cryptocoryne wendtii is one of those, plus it also has 'red' and 'brown' varients that is even less likely to be green.

Angry the Clown is right about the Rotalas. I would particularly recommend Rotala rotundifolia and Rotala rotundifolia 'colorata' as they are very easy to take care of. Many of the other Rotalas that are known for being red are much harder to keep.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Give yourself some credit!!!!! 4wpg does not count as "easy." Don't limit yourself.

I have hard water and the two red plants that do the best for me are Alternanthera reinekii, and Ludwigia repens "rubin".
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbaz
Give yourself some credit!!!!! 4wpg does not count as "easy." Don't limit yourself.

I have hard water and the two red plants that do the best for me are Alternanthera reinekii, and Ludwigia repens "rubin".
Well my point was that, while I have the tank requirements for difficult and demanding plants, I'm looking for something similar to what I have now; easy to grow and maintain plants, just that have a bit of color in them. If you look at my original list of plants I don't think any of them fall under the category of difficult. I like it that way.

Oh and my tank is a 20 gallon high with a 65w CF bulb on it (not a 50/50). By my measurements that puts me right at 4wpg using the 1.25 conversion rate from NO to CF. Last time I checked that was about the conversion rate in the one thread on here, but I haven't checked back to see if it has been modified. And I'm still on DIY CO2 trying to work out my tank, but I've really stepped up the amount of yeast used and change out 1 of my 2L bottles every week so the CO2 stays high and consistent (I have a drop checker with a 4 degree KH solution that stays green).

I will have to look into the plants the recent posts mention. And to blazeyreef, I'm always up for a plant clipping!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i keep Ludwigia repens (might even have some clipping available by the weekend)

in my tank (2.5 wpg, DIY CO2, Ferts and Liquid rock) it only turns red at the top, under the strongest light.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Atl300zx
i feel the same way with my tank, could always use more non-green plants.

So far i have a Bronze Wendtii and some Ludwigia ovalis. My Rotala rotundifolia stays green except the extreme tips when i let it get tall and near the light which turn slightly reddish purple.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

JDogg,

Keep me in mind if you do have clippings available!

Atl300zx, That's the type of Rotala I have as well. From what I understand they develop pink/reds when exposed to low nitrAtes. That's why I normally see them when the plant reaches the surface (very high light with a lower current). I just don't want to delve into the low nitrAte realm for fear of algae if I happen to bottom out. Plant only tanks are much easier to manage with low nitrAte since you're only dosing nitrAte to the tank. With fish, that ammonia is a dangerous component when low on nitrAte (if deficiency exists). I just can't risk an algae outbreak after getting it under control.

Any blue or purple plants?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are lots of nice easy red plants. Most ludwigia species will fill that bill, and the brevipes is a weed, despite any claims of being "difficult". Ludwigia guinea is awsome with its leaves looking like hammered enamel.
There are some nice lotus lillies to choose from, look at Nymphaea micrantha in particular. Echinodorus tennulus "red" if you want a foreground, also some larger Echinodorus that are non red.
For a different look there is Myriophyllum tuberculatum, and if you can find is Nesaea sp "red"
Most Polygonum sp are some non-green color, kawagoeanum, and sao paulo are a couple personal favorites.
A huge number of non green Crypts to choose as already mentioned.
Have you considered Proserpinaca palustris? It is a very nice reddish color under water.
There are several cultivar's of Alternanthera reinecki that are spectacular red in color.
Most Rotala's are pinkish or orange..and very easy to grow.
Hygrophila sp from "Sao Paulo" will grow like a vine and is a deep wine color. Also, Hygrophil sp "foreground" will develop a violet blush to he leaves under higher lights.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezmo
There are lots of nice easy red plants. Most ludwigia species will fill that bill, and the brevipes is a weed, despite any claims of being "difficult". Ludwigia guinea is awsome with its leaves looking like hammered enamel.
There are some nice lotus lillies to choose from, look at Nymphaea micrantha in particular. Echinodorus tennulus "red" if you want a foreground, also some larger Echinodorus that are non red.
For a different look there is Myriophyllum tuberculatum, and if you can find is Nesaea sp "red"
Most Polygonum sp are some non-green color, kawagoeanum, and sao paulo are a couple personal favorites.
A huge number of non green Crypts to choose as already mentioned.
Have you considered Proserpinaca palustris? It is a very nice reddish color under water.
There are several cultivar's of Alternanthera reinecki that are spectacular red in color.
Most Rotala's are pinkish or orange..and very easy to grow.
Hygrophila sp from "Sao Paulo" will grow like a vine and is a deep wine color. Also, Hygrophil sp "foreground" will develop a violet blush to he leaves under higher lights.
WOW! Have any clippings of those? I know of no LFS that carries anything other then the standard fare.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure, I have most of those in one tank or anther...hows the weather in PA? maybe when the snow melts I can get you a care package.

I also wanted to mention Barclaya longifolia, and Didiplis diandra which are easier to find.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezmo
hows the weather in PA?
Cold!

I wouldn't try just yet - the plants will have to travel across the country, probably encountering various cold weather conditions, not just here in PA at the destination. I am waiting to ship some plants too, but it's just not the right time yet.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I should mention, that there are some great local stores around here for getting those kinds of plants, in particular Aqua Forest. They recently opened a web store, and I believe they will ship plants. Just call and talk to George or Steven, they are very nice, and very helpful.
http://www.aquaforestaquarium.com/
You could also try calling Albany aquarium. Guy, the owner, is also very knowledgable, and may be willing to ship plants.
http://www.albanyaquarium.com/

For me, being a member of the SFBAAPS has given me incredible access to nearly every plant I have wanted to try. Just this last Sunday at our plant swap I picked up 3 new species (for me), one of which is new to the country - Acisanthera saofrancisco. Not only free, I actually was asked to please try and grow them to help make them more available.

http://www.rva.jp/plants/saofrancisco_irecienu.htm
Old 02-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been shipping and receiving plants all winter long. If you invest in a 72 hour heat pack and insulate the box just a little, you should be just fine.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thought I would add a couple of odd red plants that I have growing but don't see too often:

Deep red Val

Multi-colored Val... the entire plant is colored like this!

rotala indica

Purple rotala indica
Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Here are some of my more colorful species, 7Enigma. Just drop me a line on what you want and I will get it out as soon as I have some available.

Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'
Cabomba palaeformis
Didiplis diandra
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila sessiliflora
Ludwigia brevipes
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf'
Polygonum sp. ‘Kawagoeanum’
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. 'Colorata'
Rotala sp. 'vietnam'
Rotala wallichii

I have also been sending and receiving plants all winter.

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com