Requesting Advice. :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skingee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am really close to setting up my 36 gallon for my 2 Juvenile Bala Sharks and Young Peacock Eel. I am wanting to add some live plants into the new tank and I have done some simple research but still not sure.

I have found that I should look into Sagittaria, Pearl Grass, and Dwarf Hair Grass... but how much? are their any other types I should look into?

Skingee said:
I am really close to setting up my 36 gallon for my 2 Juvenile Bala Sharks and Young Peacock Eel. I am wanting to add some live plants into the new tank and I have done some simple research but still not sure.

I have found that I should look into Sagittaria, Pearl Grass, and Dwarf Hair Grass... but how much? are their any other types I should look into?

Balas are super nervous fast fish. They grow quickly and IME I dont recommend starting them in anything smaller than a 55g.

For now, I say plant both side walls for a visual barrier. Balas often startle and slam into walls and die. Which is why I like big tanks. They will also carpet surf, so keep the tank tightly covered. Few people have room for a group of foot long Minnows ( Balas aren't Sharks of course, they are giant Minnows).

They are calmer in groups. http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile21.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_shark#section_1

Back to plants , if you want easy, look at Java Ferns. There are different varieties. Super easy. Tie to wood or rocks.

I like Crypts also.

I'm really new to planted aquariums. When you say to tie them, with just simple string? I know I should have a larger tank for the Bala Sharks but I simply cannot get a larger tank in my current living environment. :(

Thanks for the advice on plants. I like how the Java ferns look especially with the current decor.

There's thread, like sewing thread, specifically made for plants.

And as long as you upgrade before the fish gets 1/5th of the tank's length, it should be fine, I'd say. Just enough to give them some swim room.

I like the idea of the plants against the walls though.. they bash their heads in chasing their own reflections, don't they? :lol:

Chiroptera said:
There's thread, like sewing thread, specifically made for plants.

And as long as you upgrade before the fish gets 1/5th of the tank's length, it should be fine, I'd say. Just enough to give them some swim room.

I like the idea of the plants against the walls though.. they bash their heads in chasing their own reflections, don't they? :lol:

No they kill themselves hitting walls when they panic, if you startle them.

Put lights on timers. Never tap on the tank when they are babies, try to keep them alive to rehome them.

I stock my tanks according to Adult size of my fish. I don't buy fish that will outgrow. It stunts them.

I use cotton thread. It rots off on its own and doesn't harm my tanks.

Skingee said:
I'm really new to planted aquariums. When you say to tie them, with just simple string? I know I should have a larger tank for the Bala Sharks but I simply cannot get a larger tank in my current living environment. :(

Thanks for the advice on plants. I like how the Java ferns look especially with the current decor.

If you can't house them as adults, don't buy them. Your eel gets a foot also.

Rethink your stock if you want to have thriving fish. There are really cool fish that wont outgrow your tank.

If he's getting a larger tank for them as they need it, and can handle it, then let him go about it. He was asking about plants, not his stock.

If you can't house them as adults, don't buy them. Your eel gets a foot also.

Rethink your stock if you want to have thriving fish. There are really cool fish that wont outgrow your tank.

Sir, I accepted your advice about what plants to look into. This is not advice. I must have gotten two rare Bala Sharks because they have NEVER bashed themselves into the glass and they are just as active as I'd like them to be. I know what they need as an adult, but they aren't one now. They are growing because I can see their progress. I will upgrade what they need when they need it at the proper time because simply my budget can't afford it.

If you want to TELL me what to do then supply me with the cash to do so. If you want to advise me then that is okay, depending on how you word it.

Also may I add that when I put my hand near the tank one of the Bala's comes to it and follows. I understand that you are thinking about the fish and I'm not trying to force them in a 10/36g for life. I can just easily afford it this way.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude at any point in that. They are currently in my nursery tank and the 36g will be up in a few days and I'm saving for the 125g when I move in the upcoming months.

If he's getting a larger tank for them as they need it, and can handle it, then let him go about it. He was asking about plants, not his stock.

We would be remiss if the poor stocking issue was not mentioned. It's much more important than what plants should be placed in the tank.

I'm sure the 125 will be an amazing tank.

Hopefully it will be, I know it will be rather expensive too. Unless anyone has found any deals.

Hopefully it will be, I know it will be rather expensive too. Unless anyone has found any deals.

I'm having that issue now. Craigslist, sometimes people post stuff up here on classefieds, you just have to constantly scan.

My favorite lfs deals a lot in used tanks because his clientele are always upgrading. They're in excellent condition and he safety checks everything before he sells it.

Always ask your lfs what they have in the back room. I've gotten great deals on unadvertised equipment.

Skingee said:
Sir, I accepted your advice about what plants to look into. This is not advice. I must have gotten two rare Bala Sharks because they have NEVER bashed themselves into the glass and they are just as active as I'd like them to be. I know what they need as an adult, but they aren't one now. They are growing because I can see their progress. I will upgrade what they need when they need it at the proper time because simply my budget can't afford it.

If you want to TELL me what to do then supply me with the cash to do so. If you want to advise me then that is okay, depending on how you word it.

Also may I add that when I put my hand near the tank one of the Bala's comes to it and follows. I understand that you are thinking about the fish and I'm not trying to force them in a 10/36g for life. I can just easily afford it this way.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude at any point in that. They are currently in my nursery tank and the 36g will be up in a few days and I'm saving for the 125g when I move in the upcoming months.

Still with the Sir. I even put Tina in my Sig ... sigh

I'm just passionate about fish. Glad to hear you know they need a bigger tank.

Coursair said:

Lots of us use the mobile app and it doesn't show signatures. I'm guilty of assuming you were a guy, too.

+1 for being an animal lover. Though, most of the fish I buy go on my plate. >_<

Ahahaha, don't worry Tina.. I get called a guy in every single thread I post in. Maybe I should do the same.. But Ashley can be a guy name too, so I'm outta luck! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom