restarting my planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, just stumbled across this thread. And i must say thats one amazing looking tank with that awsome looking bogwood.
Just one question for you, are you using any ferts and co2, if yes to the ferts, what are you using. Many thanks

Hi, just stumbled across this thread. And i must say thats one amazing looking tank with that awsome looking bogwood.
Just one question for you, are you using any ferts and co2, if yes to the ferts, what are you using. Many thanks

Yes and yes.

Here is my CO2 setup:

9826-albums7424-picture36664.jpg

For ferts, I use EI dosing with dry ferts. They can be obtained from numerous websites. Here is one someone on here recommended:

Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

The driftwood has sunk and I have now started to group up the plants. Many of the species need to grow out and most of the emersed stuff has converted. I still need to continue to remove the emersed growth as the plant grows out.

The tank is filled with tannins, so tomorrow I think I will rig up another filter filled with carbon to help clean it up.

I still have a ways to go, but I think it's looking better.

9826-albums6967-picture36942.jpg

Added some driftwood to the 28 gallon as well. I also purchased 30 RCS for this tank. I've always wanted this type of shrimp.

The BBA that I grew 5 years ago is still an issue. I know how to kill it with Excel, but I want to try and figure out how to get ride of it without chemicals.

I also added some:

Cryptocoryne wendtii
Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius'
hygrophila pinnatifida
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia sp red
Ranunculus inundatus
Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem'

Now I have the following in this tank:

Anubias barteri var. 'Nana'
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Bacopa monnieri
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Echinodorus bleheri 'Compacta'
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
hygrophila pinnatifida
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia sp red
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow leaf'
Ranunculus inundatus
Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem'
Taxiphyllum barbieri

9826-albums6967-picture36941.jpg

OMG all your scapes are soooooooo good. What is the plant in the front right of the in tank in the first picture?

wow, both of your tanks look amazing. the driftwood is pretty dang cool looking too.

I forgot to post the species list for the 75 gallon:

Blyxa japonica
Echinodorus bleheri 'Compacta'
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Eleocharis acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'
Lindernia sp. 'India'
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin'
Lysimachia nummularia "creeping jenny"
Marsilea spp. (quadrifolia)
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow leaf'
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Persicaria praetermissa
Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf'
Proserpinaca palustris
Riccia fluitans
Rotala Gia Lai
Rotala macrandra 'Green'
Staurogyne sp. ‘Porto Velho’
Taxiphyllum barbieri

Collectivitis? YES

And someone is eating my Pogostemon helferi! I haven't found the bad fish yet. I'm thinking it's the one of the Boesemani rainbows. I would hate to have to punish all the rainbows for the wrong doing of one. :)

And thanks to a local chain petstore, I recieved Ich as a freebe when I picked up 20 neon tetras. So now the tank is at 86 degrees for the next week or so.

Yesterday I purchased a trio of SAE's and placed them in the 28 gallon. If they are anything like the one I have in my 75 gallon, the BBA should be a thing of the past.

The 75 gallon has been at 88 degrees for a couple of days now to fix the Ich I introduced by being stupid and not setting up a quarantine tank for new fish. Couple of the plants are not doing well at this temp. I removed what was left and put it in another tank.

The Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin' melted like it was an ice cube. All of the leaves turned transparent and rotted away within a day.

Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' and Myriophyllum mattogrossense are starting to kill off. Their stems are rotting and falling apart.

And now all I have left of the Pogostemon helferi are stems with roots. I even moved one of them to another tank to try and keep some of it, but it to is gone. It must be a snack for SAE's?

If having a planted tank wasn't this much fun, I don't know what I would do with myself. :)

Could be. I h e observed SAEs eating rotala w so they will eat fine leafed plants.

What, no quarantine tank? Newbie ;). Seriously though sorry to hear about your bad luck there. The tank was really shaping up. I had a sae recently destroy almost all of my blyxa japonica before I realized it was him doing it. They can get a taste for plants. My blyxa is just barely starting to recover.

Let me know if you want any replacements of those plants that are melting.

What, no quarantine tank? Newbie ;). Seriously though sorry to hear about your bad luck there. The tank was really shaping up. I had a sae recently destroy almost all of my blyxa japonica before I realized it was him doing it. They can get a taste for plants. My blyxa is just barely starting to recover.

Let me know if you want any replacements of those plants that are melting.

My SAE was nibbling on the Blyxa earlier, but wasn't hurting it. (I don't think so anyways) I hope he doesn't eat it. I would rather have the Blyxa then the SAE!

I got most of the melting before they were completely gone. Only time will tell. I was really upset, really upset, when I was performing a PWC and the top of the cuba when floating by. The top inch looks OK and I hope it recovers.

I really appreciate the offer. BUT, I still owe you.

Here is my lastest purchase:

Ludwigia sp red
Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem'
hygrophila pinnatifida
Limnophila aromatica
Ranunculus inundatus
CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTII

Need any of those? I would need some time to get my tank back to normal to ensure the plants are top notch before sending.

rkilling1 said:
Yesterday I purchased a trio of SAE's and placed them in the 28 gallon. If they are anything like the one I have in my 75 gallon, the BBA should be a thing of the past.

The 75 gallon has been at 88 degrees for a couple of days now to fix the Ich I introduced by being stupid and not setting up a quarantine tank for new fish. Couple of the plants are not doing well at this temp. I removed what was left and put it in another tank.

The Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin' melted like it was an ice cube. All of the leaves turned transparent and rotted away within a day.

Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' and Myriophyllum mattogrossense are starting to kill off. Their stems are rotting and falling apart.

And now all I have left of the Pogostemon helferi are stems with roots. I even moved one of them to another tank to try and keep some of it, but it to is gone. It must be a snack for SAE's?

If having a planted tank wasn't this much fun, I don't know what I would do with myself. :)

My experience with SAEs.. They munch on BBA as a snack until they develop a taste for fish food. Then they ignore pretty much all algae.

Tanks look nice. Amazing how a nice piece of driftwood can really change the look of the tank.

I don't know - I had great luck with SAEs continually munching algae. They never touched my blyxa either. Just the rotala w...

My SAE leave my r. Wallichii and blyxa alone. Oddly, they also leave the BBA alone. I'm not sure what they're eating, but I really enjoy watching them diligently cleaning the tank. They're about 2.5" now.

Your temp might be nuking your plants, or it may be a light/co2 issue. The bba seems to indicate co2. I had some ludwigia species rotting at the stem when they were transitioning to submersed growth. Lost 5/6 repens until I started floating them for a few weeks. You might try that as a last option for plants that are refusing to acclimate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom