restarting my planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sae would only eat new bba growth. Now that they are huge and a few years old they just sit around on leaves and driftwood and watch me. I see their eyes follow me, staring, judging.

Finally restored the temperature in my 75 gallon tank. I will NEVER do that again. The high temp destroyed many of my plants. It's like starting all over again. It was one of those when it rains it pours. Once the temp sensitive species died, it started a chain reaction by adding nutrients into the water column and causing issues everywhere in the tank.

It will take some time for the tank to settle out.

9826-albums6967-picture37202.jpg

The 28 gallon is starting to grow in. I changed out the big sponge for a smaller one. The only problem is the smaller one is white where as the larger one was black. I may end up just cutting up the larger one.

The BBA seems to be under control. I haven't noticed any new growth. I did way to many thing to combat it to figure out why it stopped. I changed some of the 4100K lights to 8000K. I always suspected my BBA had something to do with the light spectrum. Just my observation. I added 3 SAE's and I also am dosing some Mg weekly.

9826-albums6967-picture37200.jpg

Sorry to hear you lost some plants. I'm still battling bba in my 75g also. It seems like everything is doing fine then I'll come in one morning and the most of the plants' leaf edges are brown. I've been fighting it for two months now. It's tough to beat bba.

What is the plant in the background of the 28g? Is all that L. aromatica or is something else mixed in?

jetajockey said:
My sae would only eat new bba growth. Now that they are huge and a few years old they just sit around on leaves and driftwood and watch me. I see their eyes follow me, staring, judging.

Epic post!
I've been there myself. Had a SAE for about 5 years in a 55 that loved to just stare at me. He ate algae like a good boy, though.

Sorry to hear you lost some plants.

Actually, the only plant I lost was the Pogostemon helferi and that, as you know, didn't have anything to do with the heat.

The plants that melted have started to grow back. I floated the emersed growth of the Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' and it has sprouted 4 buds. Lucky for me.

As a matter of fact, all the emersed growth that was left on some of the plants did just fine. The Ludwigia glandulosa (not Rubin as I said earlier) completely melted all of it's submerged growth, but has sprouted from the emersed growth that was left. And it sprouted when the tank was still at 88 degrees. It must need time to adjust to the new temp.

Just my weekly update. Nothing spectacular. I did find some Pogostemon helferi under some sand that was doing just fine. I also added some Eriocaulon parkeri. Everything is growing back from the temperature issue I imposed a couple of weeks ago.

I really want to cut up the Micranthemum umbrosum and replant it, BUT my bosemani rainbows decided it was a nice spot to scatter eggs on. So I guess I will just have to leave it alone and see if any fry come about.

9826-albums6967-picture37629.jpg

Added some CRS and CBS to the 28 gallon back on Wednesday. This means I am going to have to start watching how much NO3's I'm dosing. I usually just add what EI says to add, but these shrimp are pretty sensitive.

Also add some Willow moss. Nothing really going on, just letting it grow in.

9826-albums6967-picture37630.jpg

That's one big change for the better. Glad to hear your systems not only recovering but your rainbows are even spawning! In a month you'll probably be posting pictures I'd an awesome tank. I finally almost have a carpet of glosso going in my tank. The pet stores never get it in my neck of the woods. Had to order it from another hobbyist on a different forum. Get us a picture if your rainbows eggs make it. :)

Here is the 75 gallon. Started moving some things around. I just need the foreground plants to grow in faster.

9826-albums6967-picture38297.jpg

Here is the 28 gallon. I have done much with it. Just letting it grow in.

9826-albums6967-picture38298.jpg

I did add some Bucephalandra sp. "Pearl Grey":

9826-albums7389-picture38299.jpg

Just an update...

Ran into medical issues and then just life (I guess one could say). Didn't touch my 75 gallon for over a year. I think I cleaned the filter once and changed the water twice. I gave the 28 gallon away to one of my neighbors.

My lunar lamp finally bit the dust, so I had to make the choice of tearing the tank down or starting over. I chose to start over (well mostly start over).

Purchased a current LED pro plus. Refilled my CO2 tank over this past weekend. Found a lot of leaks as the orings didn't hold up. My solenoid literally smoked from the coil when I plugged it in, so a new coil is in the mail.

Right now I have the light going full blast, CO2 hitting roughly 30 ppm (Green drop checker, but who knows how long the 4kd solution is good for), dose resumed at full EI levels.

Plants (Those that withstood being punished for a year, plus some that Petsmart had on-hand):
Alternanthera Reineckii 'cardinalis'
Bacopa caroliniana
Cryptocoryne undulata 'red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Eleocharis acicularis
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Monosolenium tenerum
Rotala rotundifolia
Taxiphyllum alternans

I'm hopeful that the light is enough to grow most plants. I got REAL tired of the work that's involved running a super charged planted tank.

My Rotala (One of my original plants) has started growing horizontally at the mid level of the tank, so I'm assuming the lighting should be fine.

Here is a pic of the Rotala:

Even started to pearl already

Attachments

• Rotala.jpg
    Rotala.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 67
Any updates on this?

It's like I'm 10 years old in the candy store. I have to idea why the bug caught me again.

Ran way out of town to a Petco and picked up some more tissue cultures. Glasso that was almost completely white. (I asked for a discount and they gave me 50% off)

Back in my hayday, you could find someone selling plants any time all the time on many different forums. I searched and searched and can't seem to figure out where everyone went. My usual sites are just not that active. Heck, aquabid isn't even close to what it was many years ago as far as plants are concerned.

Got my CO2 squared away.

Plants are up to:

Alternanthera Reineckii 'cardinalis'
Ammania sp. bonsai
Bacopa caroliniana
Cryptocoryne undulata 'red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Eleocharis acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Ludwigia repens
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Monosolenium tenerum
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala wallichii
Taxiphyllum alternans

Here is the barren tank as it stands today. (Not that one could imagine, but it was much worse a couple weeks ago)

Attachments

• IMG_7901.jpg
    IMG_7901.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom