Rhodophyta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vcorey04

Aquarium Advice Activist
What causes this to grow?

Since adding a modest CO2 system, i have defeated the algae from suffocating my plants. As my tank matures, i have found this small tuft of red algae growing at the top of my divers mask.

yes, and no.

Rhodophyta is simply : Red Algae.

Some species are halophiles, (prefer to live in high salt concentrations) and others are not.

i have a red appearing algae growing in my tank.

WHY?

Some pictures of the algae would help.

What is a modest CO2 system and how are you injecting it?

how can i describe this thing i bought...

well?

it's a gray canister about 10" high, with a diameter of maybe 4".

Sugar, + what the package calls the "activator", and the "stabilizer", and lukewarm water.

i change it once a month <or so>

i attribute it's modesty to the size of the diffuser. at it's longest setting, it is made for an 18gal tank.

then, i have a bio wheel, and a bubble wand that run simultaneously.

i know some people think that with those integrated in the system it defeats the purpose of the CO2, but, my dwarf gourami died while i tried turning off the bubble wand during the day when the plants were photosynthesizing.

i think his death was connected to the thick coating that appears without surface breakage, and the fact that he had a labryinth breathing system.

need the less to say, my algae prob was MUCH MUCH worse without the CO2, and a little algae is ok because my ottos and shrimp can eat forever without algae flakes.

but there are still particular spots <on the wood, and ornament> that seem unaffected by my dosing of ferts, and CO2.

one of which is red! really cool! if i get around to it, i will post pictures.

You've got DIY CO2 in a pretty package. While that system is rated for upto 20 gallons, it doesn't specify the amount of CO2 that is achieved. I found it to be complete insufficient for a 5 gallon aquarium even after removing the biowheel from the filter. You algae is being caused by low fluctuating levels of CO2. You should either remove the CO2 or make the necessary changes to keep the levels above 30ppm at all times.

If you've got a fairly small setup, then Flourish Excel would probably be a much better option if you are unwilling to remove the bubblewand and Biowheel. Anacharis and Vals don't do well with Flourish Excel, but if you aren't keeping those two particular plants it is a good source of carbon.

Last edited:
Anubias
Swords
Jungle Valve

I DO dose with flourish excel, and Flourish comprehensive supplement.

i was mostly concerned with the algae on my plants. and now, there is virtually none.

Anubias
Swords
Jungle Valve

I DO dose with flourish excel, and Flourish comprehensive supplement.

i was mostly concerned with the algae on my plants. and now, there is virtually none.

what is the activator and stabilizer??

what is the activator and stabilizer??

Activator = Champagne Yeast
Stabilizer = Baking Soda

The baking soda hardens the water and slows the reaction. It can actually completely kill the reaction if you already have hard water. I've found that most people do best by only using 1/2 the packet or skipping it all together.

Back
Top Bottom