riccia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not at all. It is actually a very hearty plant. It naturally grows floating on the surface like duckweed. If you anchor it to the bottom, it will of course need more light in order to do well. Unfortunatly, more light usally means CO2 injection is necessary to keep the tank healthy.

Never kept riccia. I spent a couple of weeks recently research riccia, considering keeping it. After researching, I decided I did'nt want it anywhere near my tanks. It sounds like more of a PITA than its worth.

High lighting, CO2, a ton of maint., hard to keep anchored, amongst other things. Google search 'riccia" and do some research. I found a ton of info on it (The Crib has a bunch of great stuff from people that actually got riccia from Amano himself). Its a beuatiful plant. Amano makes it look stunning. Some people have success with it, however its not for the average aquarist IMO.

I keep riccia floating on the surface and no CO2. It is a bit of a PITA, honestly. I never had much luck sinking it in a nice fashion. Might try it again later though...but mine has been growing nicely on the surface and my ghost shrimps (when they were alive) seemed to like hiding under it.

Ahhh,

Savga and Mothi, bring up a good point. I was resonding on riccia being submersed. Floating seems to be a little easier to manage. As I said, research it heavily.

What filter you have? I used to kept it in my 32 gal comm tank with canister filter, Riccia will clog filter.

I tried to put riccia in a tank with filter and it clogged it. So I only keep it in a tub that has air pump for moving the water. All the ghost shrimps have died since I bought them months ago...and nothing else lives in the tub for now. Just riccia...

thank you all so much.
i have mine submersed on huge rocks with nylon hair net tied around it, and the excess cut off. you cant notice the net at all, looks good. I've tried to do some searching on this beautiful plant, and have never been clear on if riccia needs c02 to live or just to thrive. as well as how much lighting a day or what watts. it seems to be looking a little brownish, or loss of the rich green in some areas. the fish seem to really love it! I'm trying to stay away from dealing with the c02 prosses. well if anyone has any more info on it, please pass it this way. it will be appreciated. thank you in advance.

thank you all so much.
i have mine submersed on huge rocks with nylon hair net tied around it, and the excess cut off. you cant notice the net at all, looks good. I've tried to do some searching on this beautiful plant, and have never been clear on if riccia needs c02 to live or just to thrive. as well as how much lighting a day or what watts. it seems to be looking a little brownish, or loss of the rich green in some areas. the fish seem to really love it! I'm trying to stay away from dealing with the c02 prosses. well if anyone has any more info on it, please pass it this way. it will be appreciated. thank you in advance.

You'll need CO2 for the riccia. Seeing how you have it sumersed you'll probobly need some high lighting as well. Check out Aquatic Gardeners Assoc. Troll through thier aquascaping contest and see what set ups they use with riccia in thier tanks. It's a great reference.

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

High lighting, good co2, and a LOT of maintenance. It is a difficult plant to keep submerged and looking good, but I find it worth it to keep at least a small carpet of it in 1 or 2 of my tanks at all times. There is NO plant out there (IMO) that looks as beautiful as Riccia when pearling. The light green color, densely packed strands, with a zillion O2 bubbles on it is a stunning sight. Amano's Pics of pearling Riccia are a large reason I got into planted tanks in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom