Riccia fluitans algae infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody know how to rid Riccia fluitans of algae. Riccia is a moss-like plant that breaks apart into a million fragments very easily when handled. Is there an algicide that I can use that is safe for Riccia? There are no fish in the tank, so even fish-killing algicides are welcome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its hair algae. True hair algae. The kind that grows in stagnant water and is easily eaten by oto's and algae eaters. I'm just worried that if I deploy my oto's, Siamese algae eaters, or bristle nosed plecos, the Riccia will get ravaged into a gazillion fragments.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brian. I'll test it on a small portion of affected riccia and treat the remaining riccia if successful.

But keep in mind that even so you may kill the hair algae with algaefix, it's best to address the root problem. Possibly adjusting light intensity, duration, and increasing CO2. Find the balance. Good luck.

Thanks Brian. The Riccia was basically in a tub near the window with just ferts and no fish, no co2. Total neglect. :-(

Algaefix was out of stock at my lfs, so I just put the Riccia in my 10 gallon quarantine tank containing 6 Siamese algae eaters and 6 oto's. All the algae is almost completely gone overnight and the Riccia fragmentation was not too bad. Its like a miracle.

I was going to order algaefix online but was afraid that the Riccia would get killed by the algae soon.

Good to hear that you fixed the problem without resulting to chemical warfare. It's best to keep chemical solutions as a last result.

Back
Top Bottom