Riccia ... WOW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just love this plant. I would love to try it but am aware of its 'needs'.
I might purchase a small bit and place it in the section of the tank that recieves sunlight. This is where my bristlenose spend alot of time cleaning up algae. So could I get a cave and berry the top of it so there is only a small entrance (for breeding) ;). If the cave is covered in my substrate would riccia grow over it?

The light might not be enough, riccia needs alot of light and CO2 in the water to grow.To have the riccia grow over the cave split it into small pieces and tie it to the cave, but this will only happen when its needs will be met and those needs are high light and CO2.

Riccia is very expensive here at LFS. That is when they even have it. I was lucky to get one small bit stuck in some plants I bought at the SVAS auction. I carefully stuck it in the top of my Java Moss, where it grew readily. Once I had a bit more I put the little pieces on top of a grove of Rotala. There it began to grow, until now I have about a fist sized clump.
I was at a nice LFS this last weekend. And to my surprise, they had an awsome 500 gal+ planted tank. The bonus was it had the same fish and plants for the most part, that I do. I was inspired. One thing they had done was take some course netting and wrapped it around some round rocks. They then stuffed Riccia under the net, where is is growing through making a very nice effect.
I realized the netting was similar to the green mesh used in aquarium fish nets (the cheap ones). So I put all my Riccia in one of my larger fish nets, cut off the handle, used the "wire frame" around the net to close the opening and attach it to something. My hope, is the Riccia will fill the net and grow through the holes. Over time I should have a nice decoration, and be able to harvest riccia ($$$).

My favorite method of planting Riccia is to find a nice smooth, round, flat rock 2-4" in diameter and place a thin layer of Riccia over the top of it. I then take a hairnet (I think I purchase more black hairnets at my LWM (local Wal-Mart) than the rest of the food service industry in my area combined :p ) and pull it tightly over the rock, using it to hold down the Riccia. I twist it tightly on the underside and secure it with a zip-tie. I cut off the extra hairnet and tag-end of the zip-tie and stick it in my tank. In a week it should be sprouting good Riccia growth :)

Back
Top Bottom