Right height of lights above tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 4 bulb t5 HO light on a 55 gal. How high should I have my lights above the water line?
That all depends on what lighting level you're trying to achieve. If you have co2 and good ferts you can keep the fixture as low as you want, or if you need to lower the lighting amount you can diy a piece of metal to hang the lights higher

That all depends on what lighting level you're trying to achieve. If you have co2 and good ferts you can keep the fixture as low as you want, or if you need to lower the lighting amount you can diy a piece of metal to hang the lights higher

Well, I have them on the rim of the tank right now and all of the light is causing some considerable algae growth (green dot), I have co2 and I'm dosing PPS pro. I'm nowhere near overstocked and I do 30% water changes twice a week.

Not sure why a the algae.... Maybe I should go with EI method to try to bombard the algae with nutrients. Oh and I don't have a phosphate test

How long do you have your lights on? What are your nitrate levels? A phosphate test in a high light tank is extremely helpful. When you find that "sweet spot" of nutrient levels in your tank there should be nothing wrong with keeping your lights the way they are

How long do you have your lights on? What are your nitrate levels? A phosphate test in a high light tank is extremely helpful. When you find that "sweet spot" of nutrient levels in your tank there should be nothing wrong with keeping your lights the way they are

I keep my lights on for 6 hrs in a 24 hr period. The nitrates are at 30 ppm. Yea I read about that sweet spot I want it! Lol

Back
Top Bottom