Rimless Planted Nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I want to do a planted rimless desktop type tank for my room. I have a hillstream tank and my 150g community tank.

I'm thinking about the 7.9g Fluval flora, the 5g Flual spec or Chi or the 6g (6.6) Fluval Edge or Chi.

Anything else I should consider? I would consider something wall mountable up to 15g. I didn't really like Marineland or Aqueons offerings. Something rimless and small where I could use my own light and filter like an AC30 or 50 on the end would be a plus.

Maybe the Flora or Chi with a Pogostemon erectus in the middle? I like the rockfalls on the Chi, any tank with a sort of stream like falls filter would be a bonus.

What kind of fish would be good in these? Can I keep anything besides a beta? I was thinking about a figure 8 puffer but the say 30g minimum. What about a Bumblebee Goby or a Peacock Gudgeon? Or a Badis?

I'm not much help on the tank choices. But if you went for a 10 then you could do scarlet badis, dwarf puffer species, betta, shrimp colonies and I think you could do ember tetras too.

I would just get a 10g but they don't look as nice and 15 and 20g tanks are a lot larger.

I guess the Aqueon Evolve 8 is nice, I think like the Fluval 7.9g Flora and the Ehiem 9g the best with the wrap around glass. My favorite is the 6g Fluval Edge but I hate how the 12g is just taller. I would want a 12g that looks just like the 6, longer than taller.

I think you could easily do a single dwarf pea puffer in one of those smaller tanks as long as you stay on top of water changes. They're super tiny but messy.

Get a high clarity rimless tank of ADA quality but cheaper. With that in mind, CAD Lights Zen tanks and AquaTop (on TruAqua.com) are top-notch. Mr. Aqua tanks on MarineDepot.com are nice as well. Some mr. Aqua are regular glass (slight green tint), while others are low-iron high clarity. GLA also has some offerings but they're not as competitive in pricing as what I listed above, but potentially less than ADA.

Finnex makes a 7.5 cube w the planted plus package.. looks nice.. just read mr. Aqua is releasing a 23 long soon (36×12×12)..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a high clarity rimless tank of ADA quality but cheaper. With that in mind, CAD Lights Zen tanks and AquaTop (on TruAqua.com) are top-notch. Mr. Aqua tanks on MarineDepot.com are nice as well. Some mr. Aqua are regular glass (slight green tint), while others are low-iron high clarity. GLA also has some offerings but they're not as competitive in pricing as what I listed above, but potentially less than ADA.
Thanks! I like the Mr. Aqua Chic 11.4g and the Harmony 13.3g the GLA 35cm cube is also nice, I'm just not sure how to make it look nice like the packaged ones. I see a lot of people using 10" Finnex lights. Are there any good pedestal or clip on style lights like I see a lot coming with? Also what substrate are people using that is jet black?

It's not too hard to piece separate components. Most who go over 10g's on a rimless, usually get a canister filter with Lily pipes. But you can totally use an HOB if you'd like. I'm using HOB's on my rimless tanks right now. I have a Fluval C2 on my 17g ADA 60p, but because my background is black, the black filter blends right in. On my semi transparent background rimless tanks, I'm using Aqua Clear filters and Azoo Palm Filters. You can always remove the HOB for photos if you really want to show off your scape.

IMO, a nice slim LED unit will look nice on a rimless tank. There's plenty to choose from, once you narrow down to the tank you really want. Finnex, Current, Archaea, Azoo, etc. have options.

There's quite a few options of dark substrates. But plant specific ones is what I'd recommend. ADA AquaSoil, IMO, is the best. But it's also spendy. You can also consider Brightwell Aquatics new substrate. Dr. Fosters and Smith sells it. There's also Fluval stratum, Azoo Plant Grower Bed, and Mr. Aqua substrate... these, IMO, are best for rimless tank applications.

Then there's Eco Complete (or Floramax and Flourite. These are okay, but don't have a lot of nutrients. They do however have a high CEC, which allow them to absorb nutrients then slowly deliver it to the plants. The one thing I hate about this stuff is that if you're not careful when your cleaning your tank and get a little on your scrubbing sponge, you can very easily scratch your tank. Especially if you buy a low iron high clarity rimless where the glass is more susceptible to scratches if you're not careful.

Mr. Aqua is releasing a 23 long soon (36×12×12)..
REALLY now? Those are some awesome dimensions for a planted tank! I hope they make a high clarity version. I was hoping someone was going to come out with a 33L in rimless, but this might be a nice compromise. If only I had the room!

It's not too hard to piece separate components. Most who go over 10g's on a rimless, usually get a canister filter with Lily pipes. But you can totally use an HOB if you'd like. I'm using HOB's on my rimless tanks right now. I have a Fluval C2 on my 17g ADA 60p, but because my background is black, the black filter blends right in. On my semi transparent background rimless tanks, I'm using Aqua Clear filters and Azoo Palm Filters. You can always remove the HOB for photos if you really want to show off your scape.
I would probably run a C2 or an AC30 or a 106. I want something that looks clean like how everything is hidden on the Fluval edge or Flora but I would like to use my own filter. How does the water get oxygenated when just using a canister?

IMO, a nice slim LED unit will look nice on a rimless tank. There's plenty to choose from, once you narrow down to the tank you really want. Finnex, Current, Archaea, Azoo, etc. have options.
Yeah I have the Aqueon on but it can't be run without a glass top or it gets all messed up.

There's quite a few options of dark substrates. But plant specific ones is what I'd recommend. ADA AquaSoil, IMO, is the best. But it's also spendy. You can also consider Brightwell Aquatics new substrate. Dr. Fosters and Smith sells it. There's also Fluval stratum, Azoo Plant Grower Bed, and Mr. Aqua substrate... these, IMO, are best for rimless tank applications.

Then there's Eco Complete (or Floramax and Flourite. These are okay, but don't have a lot of nutrients. They do however have a high CEC, which allow them to absorb nutrients then slowly deliver it to the plants. The one thing I hate about this stuff is that if you're not careful when your cleaning your tank and get a little on your scrubbing sponge, you can very easily scratch your tank. Especially if you buy a low iron high clarity rimless where the glass is more susceptible to scratches if you're not careful.
I forgot eco- complete is black isn't it? I went with that in my 150g mixed with red and gravel because I don't want to have to replace it. Whats in the Fluval stuff that its marketed for shrimp?

REALLY now? Those are some awesome dimensions for a planted tank! I hope they make a high clarity version. I was hoping someone was going to come out with a 33L in rimless, but this might be a nice compromise. If only I had the room!
How do you tell the high clarity from the regular? I didn't see anything about it on marine depot.

Other wise im open to the small cube tanks that come with stands and I could run the canister hidden in the stand underneath, I just love how clean all these tanks look and then with the open top they look like a touch exhibit at an aquarium.

I really like the stock photos and people iwigumi ish aqua scapes on there

Well if you get the 106, you can fit 13mm Lily pipes if you want less distracting equipment in the tank. It's just a PITA to keep clean, but I've always considered that part a labor of love. Lily pipes can or canister filter out flow can oxygenate the water as long as there's some surface agitation. Here was my Lily pipe setup on my 6g.

Surface Agitation with Lily Pipes: http://youtu.be/ygvjWmnhASU

I forgot eco- complete is black isn't it? I went with that in my 150g mixed with red and gravel because I don't want to have to replace it. Whats in the Fluval stuff that its marketed for shrimp?

I'm not too sure what's in the Fluval shrimp stratum. They claim it has minerals beneficial to shrimp. As for nutrients, it's not as abundant as AquaSoil and Brightwell. But I've used Fluval stratum and it's good IMO. But if you have extra cash to spare, this stuff is good!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28435

What would be really cool is if I could make it into a sort of Paludarium with some plants growing out of the water.

You can put a pair of killifish in a 5g or bigger. There are some very beautiful Aphyosemion species and they are non annuals so they live 2 to 3 years. Also they can do just fine at room temp of 68 or even a little lower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can put a pair of killifish in a 5g or bigger. There are some very beautiful Aphyosemion species and they are non annuals so they live 2 to 3 years. Also they can do just fine at room temp of 68 or even a little lower.

But aren't they big jumpers ??

This is a rimless tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh crap you're right. I should have seen that. Some aren't but it's not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom