Rinsing Adventures w/ Black Flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ungh. How long did it take you guys to clean this stuff?

Since I couldn't find the sand version, I picked up three 20lb bags of the gravel. I've been rinsing it for days now. Not entire days of course, but 1-2 hours a day for the last five days. At least I didn't get any super sharp stuff.

Starts out super muddy looking and eventually the water passing through it is a hazy grey. No matter how much I agitate, rinse, or blast it with water, there's always a hefty amount of silt that settles to the bottom of the container. I end up throwing out about 10% of each buckets worth because of that. I've been splitting each bag into quarters and washing the smaller amounts at a time but it's still taking to get to a 'mostly clean' state.

Any secrets to cleaning this stuff, or do I just need a lot of patience?

The method in the video isn't bad. I've washed my substrates that way, but I usually agitate the sand with my hands to get more silt out quicker. I've also heard that a cheap pillowcase makes a good strainer. Put 5lb of the gravel in the pillowcase and run water through it.

You're making me glad I cheaped out and went with the blasting compound. No washing needed really. I just had to skim some floaters and a tiny bit of silt off the top of the water in the tank.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I wish I would have tried the pillow case thing. I had some semi-fine screen and spare wood lying about too, maybe making a frame with screen on it would have worked since the silt in the fluorite gravel seems to clump and settle to the bottom quickly.

Back
Top Bottom