River Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoobfoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I discovered the Gold Neon Dwarf Goby and thought they were the most gorgeous fish ever. I just HAVE to have them. They need clean, fast moving water, so creating a river biome aquarium would be best. This is the first time I’ve ever considered something like this. Has anyone here created a river tank? Any tips? And has anyone raised these gobies?

They’re for sale at Aquatic Arts: https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-fish/products/gold-neon-dwarf-goby

Awesome idea! I’d think you would need to customise a tank a little bit but either strong powerheads or over filtration would be the easiest way to do it. Make a deep riverbed and plant either side with smaller large rooted plants and put a power head and the start of the river :)

I’d love to give it a go one day, sounds fun! [emoji16]

Many fish originating from fast flowing waters generally require highly oxygenated waters and so if I was going to do this kind of theme I’d look in to a wet dry trickle filter or sump setup to maximise gas exchange and biological filtration.

I have known people to set up river tanks like described above by practical fishkeeping..
Those set ups work well and keep the flow direction .
I run a Jeboa/Jecod CP power flow 40 on the end of my 180g..There is no gravel or sand for the first 1 foot of the other end of the tank !It pumps like that on full!Pretty nice pump and reasonably priced compared to the maxspect gyre..So much so I bought its replacement for when it fails someday and still spent less then on one gyre....Been running a year now I think.
That and the 12,000 liter per hour DC pump in the sump create the most flow I have ever had even when I had 6 large powerheads.
They make a smaller version and both units are digitally controlled with 4 different setting to boot....
Nice goby..:popcorn:

If you are looking into a bigger tank for gobies with that river system set-up I would consider a 33L. Essentially two 20L stacked end to end. Its a great tank for small fish like that and with big enough powerheads, you could get great currant flowing.

Coralbandit Ooh, fancy! I’ll definitely check those out. Do you have any dead zones at all or does everything seem to get decent movement?

WYRenegade That’s a good idea! I wouldn’t need a huge tank, but I know I want something bigger than the standard 20 gal long.

Back
Top Bottom