RO/DI for a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Getting out of the saltwater/reef part of the hobby. Going back to freshwater but would like to try real plants. I've read that you can use ro/di water but you need to add trace minerals and whatnot. Anyone have any recommendations? Any personal experience? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am currently using a mix of RO/DI mixed with tap water. I have very hard water. I did some test using several combinations until I arrived at one that fit. It seemed that 5 gal RO to 1 gal of tap worked for me. But I also check my water KH after water changes since I am injecting CO2 and do not want a huge ph swing.

If you use straight RO/DI you will have to use something like Seachem Equilibrium to add back in trace elements for GH. But they recommend their Alkaline Buffer to control KH, but all that it is sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda. Hope this helps some.

Ok thanks.

Assuming your tap is halfway decent? 50/50 with the addition of a product such as seachem equilibrium should work.. liquid ferts and co2 help too;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LGR!

Yea I'm doing research on co2 systems and led's. Its like starting over after leaving the reef setup. Gonna set up a 40 breeder. Substrate? Filtration? Want a canister. Used to have a fluval but eheim gets good reviews.

40b...great! Eco complete, can rated for 350 gph, hydor koralia 240 powerhead. Finnex planted plus and a current sat plus for the back. Med light tank... high light? We can talk too..

100% RO/DI water with the following added:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417390975.625766.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417391120.787651.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use 100% RO/DI also. Always use equilibrium for trace elements and gH. I also use both alkaline and acid buffer to stabilize the pH and bring the kH back up. I've also read about Neutral Regulator but have never tried it. Just started dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 for the macros. I haven't looked into a dedicated iron source yet though as I'm hoping the traces in the equilibrium will take care of that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys. Beautiful tank Rc. What kind of fish is that?

Hey Brook thanks for the input. Any experience with the ecoxotic e series led's? Look cool and affordable.

I breed my own bettas. That specific one is a while plakat (male) with marble gene that I got from Petco for 2.99 labeled as a halfmoon veil tail.

(To answer your question, it is a betta splendens that I got from Petco to introduce arble genes to my line)

Hey Brook thanks for the input. Any experience with the ecoxotic e series led's? Look cool and affordable.

Yo! Not yet... it will be my next purchase though. . I run a few of its little brother.. the current sat plus.. love them.. pic after a minor trim and tinker.

Attachments

• 1417396745029.jpg
    1417396745029.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 35
Noope.. this one.. sorry..

Attachments

• 1417396821784.jpg
    1417396821784.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 36
Wow awesome. Substrate? Co2 system?

Any info on cycling a new system with plants?

Wow awesome. Substrate? Co2 system?

Flourite black with a black sand cap.
aquatek premium reg. Split off a 5# tank. Almost leak free..

Any info on cycling a new system with plants?

Cycling using plants?? like as nutrient sponges or ammonia source?

Back
Top Bottom