RO/DI sytem? Please, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquazan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Everyone!:D:fish1:

I wanted to gather some information in general about an RO/DI system. I mainly want to know what benefits it holds for Freshwater Tanks, more specifically a 75g planted aquarium.

Can someone please answer these questions? I will appreciate it A LOT!!:D:D:thanks::thanks:

-What benefits for the fish does RO/DI water hold?

-What benefits for plants does RO/DI water hold?

-How much will RO/DI waste water raise my water bill (I only want an approximation)? What can I do with the waste water?

-Benefits in terms of algae?

-Any things I should be aware of when using RO/DI water? Best freshwater planted buffer?

(y):thanks::thanks:(y)

I will greatly appreciate your response! I respect what you have to say!

I'd like to know this also. My local water has a ph that registers off the charts even on the API high range ph test.

After my water gets in the tank it settles to about 8.0 and I really want it to get down to about 7.5ish.

I know ph isn't the most important thing in the world, but I think it's on the high end for many fish and for plants. I'm hoping that I can just get an RODI system and add something like seachems replenish.

IMO for fresh water the only good thing about RO is the low ph if you plan to keep fish that like a low PH, but when using RO you have to add minerals back into the water (same minerals that are already in the tap water)

the R/O system itself can be a bit pricy, and the waste is around 10 liters of tap for 1 liter of RO water

so benefits for fish is low PH and low GH/KH if your tap is high in those respects and you are wanting to keep soft water and acidic fish

for plants there is no benefit because you have to add minerals back in to the water the plants need anyways, minerals that are already in tap water

no benefit from algae, algae will find its way in the tank regardless of water source if you are using too much light, among other factors

I know of some people doing high-end planted tank stuff that use RODI. It provides more control over parameters, if you need that. There are a number of species that need soft, low pH water (eriocaulon come to mind) or specific parameters (eg, low TDS). The "minerals" in tap water is basically just calcium and magnesium, both of which can be reconstituted on the cheap using either DIY methods or a premixed RODI mix.

thanks aqua, i forgot that some plants do prefer soft acidic water also :facepalm: thats what i get for typing at 4 am :p

I should probably say that even if there is a nuance to it, armymp327 is pretty much right on in that there is really negligible value to a RODI for most planted tanks and most planted tank keepers.

Back
Top Bottom