Root tab questions. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
So not to long ago I put some root tabs into my planted tank.

I pushed them into the Eco-Complete and then covered them up with the substrate. Did I do this right ?

Also , when I put new ones in monthly, do I need to take the old ones out or will they have dissolved?

Ok good lol. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take them out because I didn't remember where I buried them. I figure they would dissolve anyway.

Yup, the just dissolve in the substrates into te nutrients the plants roots suck up :) I add new tabs in my substrate about every month, at least that's how my brand directs it. I too have a question someone on here may can answer-sorry if I hijack this thread, I thought it would be the right place to ask- I use AquariumPlants.com 's total, phosphate, and iron root tabs monthly or as needed. I heard that osmocote plus is a GREAT root tab, so I bought some. Do I just add these along with my other tabs as I did, or what? How far apart should I space them out, how many, etc? Anyone have tips?

Yup, the just dissolve in the substrates into te nutrients the plants roots suck up :) I add new tabs in my substrate about every month, at least that's how my brand directs it. I too have a question someone on here may can answer-sorry if I hijack this thread, I thought it would be the right place to ask- I use AquariumPlants.com 's total, phosphate, and iron root tabs monthly or as needed. I heard that osmocote plus is a GREAT root tab, so I bought some. Do I just add these along with my other tabs as I did, or what? How far apart should I space them out, how many, etc? Anyone have tips?

It's okay lol.

Idk If I'm right but I don't see why it would be a problem to add them along with your other root tabs. It's just extra nutrients for them :)

They usually say to put 6 root tabs in for every 10 gallons. Space them about 6 inches apart. :)

Dan you really don't need to be using more root tabs over what you have. All your doing is putting excess nutrients in the tank and plants can only use so much regardless of how much extra you put in. Plus those Osmocote tabs can cause ammonia spikes if the water soluble nitrogen is from ammonia not nitrates. It will list it on the package. Also the Aquarium Plant Iron root tabs are to be used every 45 days.

Thanks much warrior and Rivercats! So, could I use them in my 5.5 planted? It currently has no root tabs. Just Excel...again sorry to take over your thread warrior!

Thanks much warrior and Rivercats! So, could I use them in my 5.5 planted? It currently has no root tabs. Just Excel...again sorry to take over your thread warrior!

I don't see why not. Some plants are heave root feeders and others feed from the water.

Unless you have swords or crypts in the 5.5 I don't see the need for using them. Plus not too long ago I read an article about only needing to use those (Osmocote plus) every 4-6 months but forgot how many they said per tank.

Unless you have swords or crypts in the 5.5 I don't see the need for using them. Plus not too long ago I read an article about only needing to use those every 4-6 months but forgot how many they said per tank.

I have the seachem brand. On the box it recommends to add new tabs every 3-4 months.

Back
Top Bottom