Root Tablet Injector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been wanting to try this for a while.
h96gY0X.png

Almost 2 years ago I purchased a root pellet injector to inject AquaFertz root pellets into the substrate. Injector and pellets are from AquariumPlants.com. It's basically a plastic tube with a rod in the center that serves as a "plunger". A short length of rubber tubing is used as a "pellet holder". I'm running low on root pellets and I recently received some Mebbid style osmocote+ root tablets from Trennamw.
I placed the root tablet at the end of the injector and it fits! A bit snug but that's perfect because I don't want to be dropping these tablets willy nilly in the tank. I like this not so much for keeping my hands dry, but rather, for the precise placement of the tablets in very tight spaces without disturbing the substrate. Great for carpets and heavily planted tanks. Try that with meat hooks. Nope. Anyhow, pleased that u can re-use this piece of equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hm that seems like it would be very easy to DIY. Pretty good tip, I always wreck my substrate when I jam the root tabs in!

Do you know what size capsules those are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you know what size capsules those are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think they are 00. I will I confirm this with Trennamw

Hm that seems like it would be very easy to DIY. Pretty good tip, I always wreck my substrate when I jam the root tabs in!

I can send specs in case you want.
A hobby shop should have all of the materials needed.

I think they are 00. I will I confirm this with Trennamw

I can send specs in case you want.
A hobby shop should have all of the materials needed.

Could you send me the specs too?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah Fresh, I'd definitely be interested in that. Thanks!

Here you go....
Here are some pics and details:
WYXcKUS.png

9CE6HFY.png

mBc46Pv.png

The device consists of a clear plastic rod approximately 0.5 cm in diameter and a clear plastic cylinder with an OD of 1 cm. The rod is about 4 cm longer than the cylinder. At one end of the cylinder is a 1 cm length of rubber tubing (1 cm width). This end holds the pellet in place. The other end has a wooden "wheel" measuring 1.7 cm wide and 3.7 cm in diameter. It has a hole measuring 1 cm. This is glued onto the cylinder leaving about 1-2 cm of cylinder on the other side. A short length (3-4 cm) of rubber hose is on the cylinder butt up against the wheel. This acts as the resistance for the "plunger". Finally, at the end of the rod a 2.5 cm wooden oval knob is affixed with glue.
The overall length of the rod and cylinder is whatever you need it to be. My injector is 18" and works well with my 12" deep tank.

Very nice. Thanks Fresh, looks like I've got a nice little project to do.

They sell a similar item on amazon. I think its called a pill injector or capsule injector. Its meant to use for medication administration in dogs and cats. About $10 I think.

Update: I tried the injector (this is the one from Aquarium Plants dot com and not a DIY) on the Mebbid style osmocote+ root tablets and they worked perfectly. Held onto the tablet securely and injected cleanly. It had a better fit on the smaller end of the tablet. I believe these are OO or 00 size.

Back
Top Bottom