Root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I have a fine sand substrate in my tank and plan to attach some java ferns and other low to med light plants to some driftwood. I have been planting them in my sand at the moment until my driftwood is ready. My question is do i need root tabs for the roots since the are in the sand? Also do root tabs promote algae growth? I was using a liquid iron / pottasium growth formula and it seemed to grow a little algae on the suface of my sand.

thanks in advance!

Java Ferns shouldn't need any root tabs, and they will be a lot healthier when you get them out of the sand and on to the wood. Root tabs are great though for heavy root feeders, like crypts, rotala, blyxa, J, and others.

As far as the fert you were using, if all it contained was Fe and K, I doubt it was causing algae growth. More likely, if the growth is heavier than what would be "normal" growth (all tanks have some algae...), then there is another factor that is out of whack - either Nitrates or Phosphates, or duration, spectrum, intensity, and temp of your lighting.

Back
Top Bottom