Root Tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, so I've been doing my research, but I'm still unclear about the topic of root tabs.

I have a 20g long, using black diamond blasting sand substrate. Low-tech with a BeamsWork EA FSPEC light. Hard scaped with dragon stone and mopani. The tank will be moderately planted with anubias nana petite, bucephalandra, java fern, java moss, dwarf hairgrass and frogbit.

Do I need root tabs for these plants? If so, how do I achieve this with the majority being rhizome plants? Only the hairgrass will be rooted in the substrate. I'll also be pressing the java moss into the substrate.

Also, when do I add the tabs, if I do? I know that adding them too early can just add to all the junk in the tank and encourage algae.

What tabs do you guys recommend? And if tabs are not recommended, do I have to add anything? If so, what?

I’ve used DIY osmocote tabs as well as AquaFertz root pellets. Both were pretty cost effective and worked.
The DHG might benefit from either (I’ve never grown it before).

I’ve used DIY osmocote tabs as well as AquaFertz root pellets. Both were pretty cost effective and worked.
The DHG might benefit from either (I’ve never grown it before).
I've been keeping an eye on this thread hoping someone would mention the osmocote [emoji4] how often do you put new tabs in the substrate when you use osmocote? I've recently added 2 amazon swords and was wondering how often they'd need more ferts

I made up some Osmocote root tabs for my BDBS substrate in my 20G long when setting it up . I only have Monte Carlo, Staurogyne Repens, and a few A.R. Variegated. They are cheap enough to make and I figured they couldn't do any harm in a substrate that is pretty much inert at the start. Just be careful how many you use if you decide to go that route. I used 8 and had a pretty good ammonia spike for a while. I'll be using 6 from now on if they're needed at all. Plants have been growing like crazy, but I also dose E.I. and inject CO2 as well. Good luck, 20G longs are a Great tank !! (y)

Back
Top Bottom