Root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hellp I placed two root tabs under two completely separate plants in my 25 gallon aquarium yesterday and now this is happening IMG_1417.jpg.
What is happening??
This is my ammonia and ph
IMG_1418.jpg
The fish are golden barbs

What was in the root tabs?

The pH was not altered by the tabs.

The only thing that would cause ammonia is if there is a urea source, or ammonium nitrogen source in the root tabs. If not, than something else is causing the trace amounts of ammonia.

Was the tank cycled?

I have no idea this is the package and why the tabs look like. The ph used to be a little higher that that but it went down. One of those fish in the picture have started to come around and liven back up but the other is still not doing so good
IMG_0296.jpg
View attachment 1

Was the tank cycled?

They have been in this tank for over a week and were perfectly fine, swimming around swimming in the bubbles and current. Then like I said I put the root tabs in last night and that is what I woke up to

Was the tank properly cycled?

I don’t know what you mean by that. If the cycling was the problem wouldn’t it have affected them before the root tabs. All I done was change the tank size over a week ago and most of the water every thing else except the plants is the same

I don’t know what you mean by that. If the cycling was the problem wouldn’t it have affected them before the root tabs. All I done was change the tank size over a week ago and most of the water every thing else except the plants is the same

Cycling is the process of establishing the filter's beneficial bacteria.

If you set up a tank and do not build up the bacteria, you will have ammonia readings.

1 week is about right for a fish to succumb to ammonia poisoning.

How long have the fish been in the new tank? How long was the old tank set up for?

I think it's just a coincidence that you put tabs in, and ammonia poisoning occurred.

I tested the ammonia that picture is in the original post so I wouldn’t be that

What kind of filter did you use?
How many water changes per week?
How big of water changes?
What media was in the filter of the old tank?
Did you transfer the filter or the media from the old tank to the new tank?

I'm thinking the cycle was not completed, and the symptoms of ammonia poisoning are starting to show up.

Do you have readings for Nitrite and Nitrate?
What is your water source?

No I don’t have those readings. But wouldn’t ammonia have to be high for it to poison them

I'm sorry, but unless you answer some of my questions I can't help. I don't want to assume too many variables and give you the wrong advise.

If it's only carbon in the filter, than the tank is likely not cycled, and therefore ammonia will be present. ANY trace of ammonia is toxic to fish.

I'm sorry, but unless you answer some of my questions I can't help. I don't want to assume too many variables and give you the wrong advise.

If it's only carbon in the filter, than the tank is likely not cycled, and therefore ammonia will be present. ANY trace of ammonia is toxic to fish.

Well where it was sat up for a week I didn’t do a water change. And a marina carbon filter for 20-30 gallons

Okay, I'm going to stick with it being ammonia poisoning, not any fault of the root tabs.

I would perform large water changes daily using Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe to detoxify ammonia.

Okay, I'm going to stick with it being ammonia poisoning, not any fault of the root tabs.

I would perform large water changes daily using Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe to detoxify ammonia.

I put some ammonia remover I think it is seachem brand

I second that your tank isn't cycled. An ammonia reading of .50 ppm isn't terribly high but high enough to cause some issues possibly on newly added, stressed out fish. I'm leaning towards your nitrites possibly causing more of an issue. Until you test for nitrites you won't know. It takes very little nitrites to even kill a fish. They also generally spike on an uncycled tank that's not getting regular water changes.....as in every couple of days and around 35-50% at a time.

As Z pointed out, you need to start water changes. My recommendation at this point would be 50% daily water changes. At least two 50% water changes in a row asap considering you have ill fish. The best ammonia remover is water changes.

Back
Top Bottom