root tabs in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wanna move one of my swords in my 10 gallon. I know they get big and will outgrow the tank but my fishies need shade. Just wondering if I can put a root tab in the sand? will it dirty the sand when it dissolves?

It will dirty the sand if it has clay in it, but it should be buried deep enough not to be an issue anyway. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

Most planted tanks use sand? Who said?

jetajockey said:
It will dirty the sand if it has clay in it, but it should be buried deep enough not to be an issue anyway. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

It's just a seachem root tab

jetajockey said:

I figure since sand is better for planted tanks from what I've been told. Lol jeta I feel like you've been out to get me these past few days :p

I figure since sand is better for planted tanks from what I've been told. Lol jeta I feel like you've been out to get me these past few days :p

I'm really not, just wondering where you get these statements from, lol.

For planted tanks, most people use a clay based substrate like ecocomplete, flourite, kitty litter, sms, turface, aquasoil, or actual soil. Straight sand will work, but it does much better enriched with nutrients.

Or am I just thinking of a fertilizer layer usually put under sand or gravel?

Some people put clay, laterite, flourite, or whatever and cap it with sand. Some people do these layered substrates, I personally put mineralized soil under sand.

But that's a bit different than just straight sand, which is what I thought you were saying.

Back
Top Bottom