root tabs question? Vacuuming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im noticing when I vac my gravel Im sucking up the broken down root tabs. I like getting a little into the gravel but don't want to keep having to put new tabs in every two weeks.

Any tips?
I think I already have to get more since I vac'd all of the old ones up

Don't vac a planted tank;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't vac a planted tank;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine isnt super duper planted though plus I dont have any carpet plants since its a mid light gravel.

put some update pics in my gallery

Gravel Vauuming

Im noticing when I vac my gravel Im sucking up the broken down root tabs. I like getting a little into the gravel but don't want to keep having to put new tabs in every two weeks.

Any tips?
I think I already have to get more since I vac'd all of the old ones up

Hello Nick...

Vacuuming removes beneficial bacteria living in the substrate and nutrients in the form of organic fish and plant material. Everything in the tank dissolves in the tank water, so to maintain healthy nutrient levels and water conditions, just keep removing and replacing the water on a regular basis, no vacuuming is necessary.

B

Hello Nick...

Vacuuming removes beneficial bacteria living in the substrate and nutrients in the form of organic fish and plant material. Everything in the tank dissolves in the tank water, so to maintain healthy nutrient levels and water conditions, just keep removing and replacing the water on a regular basis, no vacuuming is necessary.

B

Man so I spent 25 bucks on a fancy vac for nothing lol.

Gravel Vacuuming

Man so I spent 25 bucks on a fancy vac for nothing lol.

Hello again NIck...

You can still use the vacuum. Just cover the end that goes into the tank with a piece of nylon hosery or cut off the webbing from an old fish net. Use a rubber band to attach it. That way, you just suck up water and nothing else.

Pretty simple.

B

Nick,

I have plants and I vacuum my gravel. You just have to be careful about where the roots are and not get too carried away with the vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you can see debris in the gravel in areas where you don't have plants, go ahead and vacuum. You can also swirl the vac above the surface to stir things up, or use a turkey baster to blow detritus into the water column.

I would say there aren't many who can truly skip vacuuming altogether.

Keep root tabs under a plant so they're not in the area where you vac.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom