Root tabs, where and which ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where do you get your root tabs and which ones do you use? What plants do you think need tabs? Do you see a real difference after using tabs?

My root tab find online has turned out to be a dead end so I figured I would get some information gathered so those that tried my web site and haven't gotten their tabs will have other means to get the tabs they need.

I will find a web site that actually sends an actual product and replies to emails, I promise. Until then, list those sources so we can get what our plants need.

This information is from joannde in another ones of my posts but I thought it was very pertinent here as eventually I will be making my own tabs as I think many many others will also. All in the name of saving money and making a product I know what is in it.

Re Clays -
The red clay sold for making root tabs is actually a very specialized clay and is unlike any "normal" hobby / potter clays including other "red" (ie: terra cotta) clays. I had looked this up for someone else - best to stick with whats known to work.

Thanks for all the research into this as I could not find anything about the uses except after they were fired in a ceramic kiln.

fish_4_all said:
Thanks for all the research into this as I could not find anything about the uses except after they were fired in a ceramic kiln.

Here's one use of clay in an aquarium (after firing in a kiln ! LOL)

Love the tree. I made an arch and a cave type thing by hand but have yet to fire them or make a mold out of them.

As for the clay, standard hobby clay will not work, especially if it says it won't dry out without baking. The white hobby clay that most of use can get ahold of has retardants that will prevent bacterial growth, not a good thing in an aquarium setup.

The other thing with making your own tabs is I would think that the powder allows you to mix the ferts and clay much better and then make the tabs. Mixing with premixed clay would make for large pockets of fertilizers and would also make a mess when it start to desintegrate. JMO but really makes sense.

BTW, aquarimplants.com responded in less than 10 hours to my email so it seems they are back in business and ready to serve. Good prices on root tabs, bad prices for shipping but they have anubias and some is grown submerged as well as some other really good looking plants. Could be worth a look.

Good news all. I got the tabs today. The packet of 300 came in fine, and they look good. Now I have enough tabs to last a while. They are close to the size of Flourish Tabs. So I'm excited here. Just took a little time to get them, but they were cheap. So the wait was worth it to me. They also sent me a small packet if ferts for houseplants to try. It says just sprinkle on and it fertalizes for a whole year. So that's cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom