Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Rotala

What is the minimum WPG for rotala? Is CO2 injection necessary?

From my reading it is a higher light plant that does much better with CO2. I really like it and I'm wondering if it would be okay in a 1.5 WPG tank with no injected CO2. I could get some and try it, but I don't want to if it will just die in a few weeks.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I just found another website -- it said CO2 injection isn't necessary. So that leaves the light question -- what are some of your experiences with it in lower light?

Old 03-26-2005, 03:14 AM   #3

Which Rotala?
I failed trying to grow Rotala Wallichii (but haven't tried it again since I was a planted tank noob), but R. Rotundifolia has been pretty easy for me in 2 wpg or more with or without CO2.
R. Macranda (both narrow- and wide-leaf sub-species) grow great in my 4+wpg tank (w/CO2). The narrow-leaf species does ok in a 2wpg tank w/no CO2, but grows slowly and doesn't have much color. The wide-leaf species, I can't grow it anywhere but in the 4+wpg tank (w/CO2).
Old 03-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks, Paul -
I think it's the Rotala rotundifolia. The tank has 2 WPG (10 watts over 5 gallons), but I think it's too bright for the betta, so I was going to change it to a less intense bulb. It does seem that the Rotala won't like the light reduction. So now I may have to get a Rotala silkus!

Old 03-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I trust most of Curt's reviews here: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=186

I'd say with 2wpg would suffice, less than that and you probably won't get any pink hues in the plant, but it should survive.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have Rotundifolia, I throw away around a pound every two weeks , lol is lots of work , but really nice plant !
Old 03-30-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I got a three-inch high Rotala rotundifola (one stem!), and it's in the tank with 1.5 WPG of light. We'll see how it does in there! The betta is fascinated with it, even though he has lots of other plants to sit on/under.

Tags
rotala

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com