ruffle plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyh2k2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ive had a ruffle plant (Echinodorus martii) for about a month now, and its been growing like crazy. my question is about this new stem that has grown out the middle of the plant is rapidly reaching the top of my tank (10g). it doesnt appear to be a leaf, seeing as all the leafs seem to start resembling a leaf while they are still somewhat short. this stem just has a small ball or bulb like thing on the top of it, and is very tall and skinny. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is and what to do with it, thanks.

I my tanks.. Its usually a flower. But I dont know that specific species.

My guess is its a flower. I can't find a nice photo online, but I'm fairly certain its a flower stalk. The only other type of long stem it'd put out would be a runner with baby plantlets. However you'd see buldges along the stem, probably 4-6, which would eventually sprout baby sword plants, which you could eventually prune off and replant once they grew roots.

Sword plants also often divide at the crown. it takes a while to carefully untangle the roots, but it's worth it split it into two healthy plants with good root systems.

Back
Top Bottom