Süßwassertang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toirtis

God of primitive fishes
Just picked up some of this uncommon plant at a local auction, and am wondering if anyone here has had any personal experience with it.

I don't believe that I've even heard of this one before. Do you have any information on it or just some pictures?

Thanks for digging up that info Bill. Now that I see the pic and description, I have heard of it before just never seen it in person. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

I think I have some of that stuff....it came in with some Java Moss that I got from someone here....might be something different but it sure looks similar. Mine is growing but I think it gets outcompeted by the JM so it hasn't gotten that really cool look as in the pics. Maybe I'll try and isolate some to give it a better shot.

Here's a pic of what mine looks like, mixed in with the Java. Please tell me if this is something else!:
P1040137.JPG

Süßwassertang is a freshwater seaweed that has recently been introduced by Oriental Nurseries in Singapore. It looks similar to Monoselenium tenerum (Pelia) but is not a liverwort - it is actually a variety of fern. It prefers cooler temperatures and does best with medium or greater light and CO2 injection, although neither are necessary.

I have not had the chance to check it out yet, but it does look interesting. I'd love to hear what you think of it Toirtis :)

I just got a batch of this sort of by accident -- apparently substituted for Pelia in my order. It looks gorgeous, but I wanted to bump this thread to see if Toirtis (or anyone else) has more info about its "behavior". Specifically, does it anchor to driftwood or rocks well? From pictures at the links above, it looks like yes, but I just wanted to check for hands-on experiences.

Mine (if that is indeed what it is) came mixed in with some Java moss. So far it is growing but i cant get it to attach to anything. Right now I have patches of JM and this stuff scattered around the bottom of my tank, wherever it gets caught between the plants. It grows slowly, slower than the JM. Right now my tank is at about 2 wpg with CO2. It is pretty but I haven't been able to get it to grow anywhere I can really see it, although I'll admit I haven't really tried.

Back
Top Bottom