sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it Okay to add sand? Will it look good? I'm trying to get the colors of my plants to pop out more.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120117_141142.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120117_141142.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 125
Black adds depth, white pops colors our more, but makes tank look smaller...i really like black tbh, also stays looking clean, whhite sand gets hazy

What do you mean depth? And I'll go with white cause i want the plants colors to pop out

black makes plant colors pop out way more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as black contrast against green is MUCH stronger that white against green
think about it

get black paper and test something reen against it and do the same for white paper and look from far away to see the trutH:)

i do black in my tanks

i think that looks amazing as is btw:D

TheFishBoss97 said:
black makes plant colors pop out way more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as black contrast against green is MUCH stronger that white against green
think about it

get black paper and test something reen against it and do the same for white paper and look from far away to see the trutH:)

i do black in my tanks

i think that looks amazing as is btw:D

I was thinkin the same thing. Thanks. I'm trying to get my plants to pop out, black sand sounds good!

If you check my profile you can see pics of my tanks. I'm using black sand. I looked at white, BUT white gets dirty too easily for me. I use black sand and a dark background on my 10g Shrimp Jungle.

Coursair said:
If you check my profile you can see pics of my tanks. I'm using black sand. I looked at white, BUT white gets dirty too easily for me. I use black sand and a dark background on my 10g Shrimp Jungle.

Exactly what i was thinking.

How do i trim the tall lookin plant on the right?

One is a pink bulb, 6700k. And the other is not actinic although It's blue which is 10000k.

On a recommendation I went with a combo of Giesmann Aquaflora 5000k(pinkish) and Giesmann midday 6000k (white) powerchrome T5. Very natural and makes my plants and fish pop!!

Philly33 said:
On a recommendation I went with a combo of Giesmann Aquaflora 5000k(pinkish) and Giesmann midday 6000k (white) powerchrome T5. Very natural and makes my plants and fish pop!!

Yeah I was recommended those bulbs but they seem expensive. I've been meaning to switch out the blue for the white! Do your plants grow fine?

Here's a pic. That's a pic of the bottom right third of my 90gal. Just carbon supplement, no pressurized co2

Attachments

• image-2663994636.jpg
    image-2663994636.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 73
My tank has a 4 inch high mix of sand and gravel.

Black gravel and rocks trap light so darker and river dwelling fish would love. White sand is more reflective and easy to see hiding fish and fry.

I added a 20 pound bag of sand to my tank tho and it took a month to settle with daily sifting and partials.

But just so you kno the plants don't care what you got just how much of it.. Give those roots somewhere to go. The top of your tank is that planted imagine the root system.

Give em room give em air give em nutrients they'll pop

EMD1 said:
My tank has a 4 inch high mix of sand and gravel.

Black gravel and rocks trap light so darker and river dwelling fish would love. White sand is more reflective and easy to see hiding fish and fry.

I added a 20 pound bag of sand to my tank tho and it took a month to settle with daily sifting and partials.

But just so you kno the plants don't care what you got just how much of it.. Give those roots somewhere to go. The top of your tank is that planted imagine the root system.

Give em room give em air give em nutrients they'll pop

That's what I'm trying to figure out, the tall plant on the right is outgrowing everything and Idk how It's suppose to be trimmed

Back
Top Bottom