Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbueno

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have sand as a substrate wanting to know if its possible to grow in sand...if not whats a beter substrate?

Yes, many plants will grow in sand. The type of sand can have a hand in it too, though. What kind of sand do you have? Most people use pool filter sand, which plants grow well in. If you do use sand, I suggest using root tabs or liquid fertilizers (or both) to encourage their growth.

Ok thats what I was told by the local fish store. I like the sand look but realy want to go to a substrate that will promote vegetation growth what would be a better subrate? I want dwarf baby tears all around the bottom of the tank...its a 55

I suggest eco complete or some kind of flourite. If you're willing to pay the money, ADA Aquasoil is (in my opinion) the best substrate you can get. All of these have larger particles that allow for more root growth, and they don't compact easily like sand.

Ok thanks...i was reading yesterday about potting soil...what you thought on that?

Is that something I can put into the tank while fish are in the tank?

Ok thanks...i was reading yesterday about potting soil...what you thought on that?

Is that something I can put into the tank while fish are in the tank?

It depends on the type- some kinds of potting soil contain added fertilizers and other chemicals. I would try to find one that doesn't have those, although I am not sure how well that would work. It might just turn into mud.

Plants the world over are growing in sand and silt.

Substrate choice is really one of the smallest factors when determining plant growth. The more important factors are CO2, light, and ferts. Without all three, you're not going to have much luck getting HC to grow on any substrate.

ok yea idk anything I just seem to keep plants in the sand and want to change out the sand for something else

Plants the world over are growing in sand and silt.

Substrate choice is really one of the smallest factors when determining plant growth. The more important factors are CO2, light, and ferts. Without all three, you're not going to have much luck getting HC to grow on any substrate.

Ok Ive heard that before maybe from you idk but it seem that is common knowledge that I have recently learned...i am new to this but it seems that if rooted plabts like dwarf tears and others dont do to well in dense compacted sand...am I thinking correctly

Back
Top Bottom