Sand comapared to plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My credit card seems to not be working so ordering stuff won't be an option for awhile
I managed to buy a bag of floramax at the lfs on clearance they will not be carrying it anymore
Can I still have a planted 40 gallon tank with sand and root tabs and the floramax mixed in?
The lights will be x2 6700k bulbs and I will be dosing excel
The most demanding plants will be amazon swords
Thanks!

It sounds okay. I used to use sand religiously, then in my last tank tear down I noticed the roots wear more brown than I was used to. The sand was also compacting. With a plant specific substrate mixed in, it sounds good that way it might also prevent this. Are you aiming for a certain look in the tank? i.e. black , brown, natural? If your just trying to get something good for plants, have you looked at oil dri from walmart? I just started using this but I've noticed healthier plants in the last few weeks of new growth since I switched. All in all good luck.

Atxpunx said:
It sounds okay. I used to use sand religiously, then in my last tank tear down I noticed the roots wear more brown than I was used to. The sand was also compacting. With a plant specific substrate mixed in, it sounds good that way it might also prevent this. Are you aiming for a certain look in the tank? i.e. black , brown, natural? If your just trying to get something good for plants, have you looked at oil dri from walmart? I just started using this but I've noticed healthier plants in the last few weeks of new growth since I switched. All in all good luck.

I'm mostly looking for black substrate but if it's good for the plants I'm open to another look
And when I googled oil dri and went to walkways site it gave me this? Is that right?

Attachments

• image-2791946876.jpg
    image-2791946876.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 62
Yeah that's the stuff. Its pure natural clay. It looks like river rock but very small. I've read only good things about it in the tank. There are some threads on the site about it more in detail that are worth a look.

Atxpunx said:
Yeah that's the stuff. Its pure natural clay. It looks like river rock but very small. I've read only good things about it in the tank. There are some threads on the site about it more in detail that are worth a look.

Awesome I'll look into it thanks!

I used a mixture of pea pebbles and play sand that I bought at Home depot :p They are inexpensive and my plants seem to love it. I use Seachem products (liquid and tabs) for C02 and other nutrients. I have 6 t12 48" lightbulbs with 2700 lumens each and 6500K. Plants are doing great.

Apparently my credit card came through without letting me know I go outside this morning and I have a package with the Eco complete I tried to order very strange but oh well I'm glad it's here :)

Back
Top Bottom