Sanitizing Plants for Algae (before they go into the aquarium)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vic Vega

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm setting up a simple 22 long for a single Betta and some RCS. I will be planting low-light plants with eco complete.

Is there a way to ensure I have killed any algae on the plants before putting them in the aquarium? I've heard of soaking them in hydrogen peroxide or Excel.

Any experience? I'm going to drown myself in the tank if BBA shows up.

What do you have for lighting? A soak in h202 won't hurt. Some plants won't tolerate it, same with glut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Jungle Val melted into nothing after the hydrogen peroxide dip.
Anubias and Java Fern took it like champs.

Salt water dip can melt Java if to strong or long. But it will come back.

Hi all,

I'm setting up a simple 22 long for a single Betta and some RCS. I will be planting low-light plants with eco complete.

Is there a way to ensure I have killed any algae on the plants before putting them in the aquarium? I've heard of soaking them in hydrogen peroxide or Excel.

Any experience? I'm going to drown myself in the tank if BBA shows up.

I recently bleached HC Cuba in 1 part water 19 parts water for 30 seconds - 1 minutes. Just rinsed it afterwards then soaked it overnight in a small container of water with an over dose of dechlorinator. Had a little bit of die off but it bounced back pretty quick.

Worked a treat :)

Thanks guys. I'm gonna start off with a simple clip on LED and see if it can remotely sustain plant life, if need be I have a double bright LED designed for plants....but it doesn't look as slick. Will change if I need to.

Trying to keep this tank nice and simple as far as maintenance goes. Get it cycled, keep it clean, weekly water changes. Can't imagine a Betta and some RCS making too much of a mess :)

Then again, god knows I'll be into co2 and trying to grow a carpet before too long :D

Side note on this- any recommendations for sites to buy healthy plants?

Went to about 5 LFS' and wasn't impressed. Mostly saltwater stores here in FL

Side note on this- any recommendations for sites to buy healthy plants?

Went to about 5 LFS' and wasn't impressed. Mostly saltwater stores here in FL

Members sell plants in the classifieds section, a lot of people have had success there.

Not sure on websites for US buyers but I'm sure someone will chime in :)

Back
Top Bottom