Scientific name of thin leaf water sprite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a thicker leaf water sprite and now I have this variety that stays thin even in non co2 enriched tanks. Does anyone have a scientific name of the varieties? Thank you. Also, excuse the green water.

Attachments

• image-4082975517.jpg
    image-4082975517.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 118
It's just Ceratopteris thalicoides. The actual leaf morphologies can change based on individual tank parameters, most notably light but also CO2 and available ferts.

^ that's the thing. I've yet to see any morphing in different tank specs. Even floating this specimen remains as pictured above. I've witnessed the more common water sprite turn fatter leaved and show yellowing while this plant stayed unchanged in the same tanks. Quite possible your right though aqua chem, I was just curious.

Can you get us a side by side comparison? Honestly, the picture you have looks like normal water sprite to me.

As it turns out, I did away with the other variety quite a while ago due to the fact that this type stays as it is in most condition. I do remember reading that there are three variations sold as watersprite, all though I can remember where I read this. I do agree that it does look like watersprite, it's just less finicky. I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to re-research the plant. Thanks for your help.

The kind I've always kept is called oak leaf water sprite, and is a pain to keep planted. It doesn't look anything like the narrow leaf variety. I don't know about the scientific names

I've heard that it's not actually a substrate bound plant naturally, but rather a floater by nature that we make grow in the ground. Could never find a reference for that though.

Back
Top Bottom