screw in compact fluorescent color casts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 10g glass tank. I ordered the Aqueon Economy Full Hood and have decided to use screw in compact fluorescents to light my tank.

I have driftwood in the tank that's turning the water brownish, which doesn't bother me, except that I changed lighting and now it looks really yellow.

For a stopgap till I got my hood I was using a clip-on 13w fluorescent rated 9,000k. The water did not look yellow. It was kinda brownish, which I don't mind.

Right now I have the Lights of America 10watt Mini Aquarium Bulbs in the hood. The water has a very yellow cast.

I also have a Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent Colormax 10 watt bulb. It gives the water a pink cast, yuck. And it didn't give off much light in comparison to the LoA bulbs.

Are there any bulbs that would cast a more "natural" light (ie not so yellow or pink), yet good for plants?

Last edited:
yes. look for the daylight bulbs at lowes home depot walmart what ever 6500k. my guess is the the one is more like 2700k. you could also take the driftwood out and boil.

Back
Top Bottom