Seachem Purigen or clarity in a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I heard only good things about both. I will buy any one of them. Few questions are to decide:

1) If both clarity and purigen are safe to use in planted tanks?

2) Do they affect the buffering capacity of substrate or took out any liquid fertilizers we add to tank?

3) Do purigen need to be strictly put inside filter? Or can it be placed in a bag somewhere in the tank?

4) Do purigen comes with a bag or need to buy bag separately?

5) Last but not the least, which one you recommend? Which is more effective?

Please reply? Thanks

I’ve not used Clarity but from what I understand it is a flocculant. It will deal with particulates but not tannins or discoloration. My answers apply to Purigen only:
1. Yes
2. No/No
3. Most effective in the filter; bag may be unsightly in display tank
4. Yes but I believe it also available “loose”
5. Purigen

I haven't used clarity, but I have purigen, and all my tanks are planted. It basically works like activated charcoal, except you can "recharge" it by soaking it in bleach. It definitely helped to remove tannins when I first put in some driftwood. It is advertised to not take fertilizers out of the water, but it will remove medicine. I don't think it needs to be in the filter, but if you're trying to clarify the water, it just helps to move more water over the material. It comes both ways, you can get it in little bags, or bulk in a big container.

I've used it mainly for setting up tanks, just because when I'm putting in a bunch of rocks and wood or whatnot I want to make sure I get anything that's leaching out of them, but it's like charcoal, you don't really need to keep it in all the time.

I’ve not used Clarity but from what I understand it is a flocculant. It will deal with particulates but not tannins or discoloration. My answers apply to Purigen only:
1. Yes
2. No/No
3. Most effective in the filter; bag may be unsightly in display tank
4. Yes but I believe it also available “loose”
5. Purigen
Thanks a lot for the help. I have a hob filter so I am not sure if i ll able to place it properly inside filter. I do have some places inside tank where it can't be seen.

How much efficiency can i expect if place it outside the filter?

Also is there a quantity on how much to use for size of tank?

The bag which comes with it is small or large?

What kind of HOB filter are you using? If it is the cartridge type, then it might be a challenge using it. I prefer Fluval/AquaClear HOBs because you can customize the media. The Purigen would go where the carbon bag would go.
Outside of the filter it really depends on how much water passes through it (regarding the efficiency).
I stopped using it because I actually promote the levels tannins in my tanks.
Not sure about the sizes.

Thanks a lot for the help. I have a hob filter so I am not sure if i ll able to place it properly inside filter. I do have some places inside tank where it can't be seen.

How much efficiency can i expect if place it outside the filter?

Also is there a quantity on how much to use for size of tank?

The bag which comes with it is small or large?

I have the 100ml pouch in an AC50 on a 20-long heavily planted tank: purigen works great, and the plants are prospering.

One pouch treats 100 US gallons.

What kind of HOB filter are you using? If it is the cartridge type, then it might be a challenge using it. I prefer Fluval/AquaClear HOBs because you can customize the media. The Purigen would go where the carbon bag would go.
Outside of the filter it really depends on how much water passes through it (regarding the efficiency).
I stopped using it because I actually promote the levels tannins in my tanks.
Not sure about the sizes.
I have the 100ml pouch in an AC50 on a 20-long heavily planted tank: purigen works great, and the plants are prospering.

One pouch treats 100 US gallons.
Thanks a lot. I think i can try and fit in my hob. Filter is by RS Electrical. I think some Chinese company. I think i can fit the bag inside somehow. I have only a 16 gallon. Do i need to put the whole bag? I mean is there anything bad with too much purigen?

Back
Top Bottom