Seachems excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grand1011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know what the ingredients are in seachems excel? I've checked seachems website and other sources but can't find what is actually in it and if it actually forms CO2 or carbonate of any kind. I'm just curious because I am studying water chemistry and am a huge fan of aquariums as well.

nope..seachem says its a secret. but it basically metricide 14

Seachem says its "polycycloglutaracetal", which them claim is a proprietary blend that has efficacy similar to CO2. The rest of the aquarium world called shenanigans. A chemist (not me) analyzed it some time ago and found that it was essentially the same thing as glutaraldehyde, ie, Metricide or API CO2 Booster.

Just to clarify, it is in no way actual CO2, but a compound that plants 'somehow' use in lieu of CO2, although much less efficiently (although strictly better than nothing).

I have both the API CO2 booster and Seachem Excel, and what amazes me is the Excel takes care of Algae in my tank which is a HUGE plus. I had a problem the last couple of weeks where Black Hair was taking over my tank at a scary rate. Thanks to some members here and some internet searches, i found out one of the (pleasant) side effects of the Excel is Algae control. Just on that little benefit, i'm buying it regularly from here on out.
I run a pressurized CO2 system and was just waiting for my bottle of API to run out, as well as my regular Seachem Flourish, but i will continue to buy the Excel !!

Jim

I've used it to nuke algae as well. I had some staghorn algae or whatever it's called in my goldfish tank, and using a turkey baster with a 50/50 mix of water and excel in it applied to the infested areas killed off the trated area in about 24 hours.

I spot treated the heavier areas with Excel and Peroxide, alternating morning and night. A capful of Excel added to my 29 gallon, took care of all the residual Algae that was growing on the rocks and small plants............ Even my Hydro Japan Sp, which was turning all brown and ugly bounced right back after 3 days of adding it to the water !! Everything is really clean and green now........ It's some pretty crazy stuff !!

Jim

It's safe for Vallisneria? I read somewhere that not...

Most Val's melt when liquid carbon is used. I was able to successfully grow Corkscrew Val's in my 220g using high doses of liquid carbon daily.

Mandoborg, Excel and API CO2 booster along with Metricide 14 Day Solution are all the same and all have algaecide effects. I buy Metricide 14 Day Solution because a gallon costs roughtly $27 including shipping. You mix it at a 1:1 ratio with RO or Distilled water so end up with 2 gallons of Glut (same as Excel) for $27. That is dirt cheap compared to either API CO2 Booster or Excel and does the same exact thing.

Rivercat, the Metricide 14 you speak of, is that for sterilzing and disinfecting medical instruments ?? I know it sounds like a silly question, but when i Amazon'd it, that's what came up, and it was $40 a gallon so i'm not sure i'm looking at the right stuff and don't dare put anything in my tank until i'm sure it's the right stuff !!! I still have a full bottle of Excel so i'm in no hurry to order it............

BTW, your advice a couple of weeks ago about my Algae infestation worked wonders !! My tank is almost complete rid of the stuff !!

Jim

Rivercat, the Metricide 14 you speak of, is that for sterilzing and disinfecting medical instruments ?? I know it sounds like a silly question, but when i Amazon'd it, that's what came up, and it was $40 a gallon so i'm not sure i'm looking at the right stuff and don't dare put anything in my tank until i'm sure it's the right stuff !!! I still have a full bottle of Excel so i'm in no hurry to order it............

BTW, your advice a couple of weeks ago about my Algae infestation worked wonders !! My tank is almost complete rid of the stuff !!

Jim

Yes it is the right product and AquaChem gave a great explanation of Excel and Glutaraldehyde, which is Metricide 14 Day Solution. Metricide 14, API CO2 Booster, and Excel are all the same basic product. I've used Metricide 14 for years BUT it comes with a small activator bottle which gets thrown away.

If you shop around you can get it from $18-$20 dollars for a gallon. Some places try to rip you off and charge up to $40 a gallon which is a rip off.

I guarantee it's safe when used properly that same as Excel or API CO2 Booster. Your just not paying for a name brand.

Back
Top Bottom