Seeking fertilizer advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Loves Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello advice community.

I am the proud caretaker of a 55 gallon freshwater tank of filtered well water in the Colorado rockies.

I recently noticed that the new growth on some of my plants is yellowish to light green in color. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all well within parameters, but my water is on the hard side despite adding Malaysian driftwood last month. I am planning on adding some sphagnum moss to try to soften the water even more. I purchased API brand co2 booster and leaf zone in hopes of improving the health and appearance of my plants, but am concerned about the copper content possibly harming my fish ( I house 2 loaches).

Any advice in this matter would be much appreciated.

Hello! A couple things are about well water, sometimes heavy metals are in the water and if you have ever had a water test for your well, it would be nice to know if there was anything in the water bad for you or fish.

Copper is usually a problem for invertebrates. Do not over dose with sensitive fish.

As for using DW and S. moss for lowering pH, you have a couple things, you should do smaller more frequent pwc, which is removing less pH lowered water at a time 10% 2-3 times per week for example, it keeps the pH more stable (you would need to know how much water to change and how much is needed for your tank). As opposed to 30% or 50% taking away the pH qualities, you have spent much effort to create, moss soaking and DW leaching tannins to your water.

By not changing your water very much at all, the plants suck up all the nutrients pretty quickly and then you have a nutrient deficient tank. Hoping someone here with better understanding and experience in using different things.

You are on the right track wanting to add some ferts. I don't do much fert adding (need to do a little more).

The other concern with well water is the possibility of heavy metals, you can use a treatment like Prime. If there is any question or known things in water with periodic testing usually done to make sure your water is safe. In Colorado there was so much mining in the mountains, sometimes there is arsenic or heavy metals.

Carbon removes heavy metals. I'm on well water and I always run carbon. I also use Prime. I live in Nevada in a gold mining community. In fact, the largest gold mine in the United States.

Generally the commercial products don’t cause fish issues ime (these were fine with yoyo loaches). Are you injecting CO2?

Hello Lady...

Before you start putting anything into the tank water, it would be a good idea to review the needs of your plants. Most low to moderate light plants don't need special fertilizers, nor do they need high end lighting.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom