Selling of Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the average price of S/H of live plants, and how does one go about doing it? Most post offices in area are closed, thanx to wonderful govt. Do I take plants to fed ex to ship or get boxes and have them picked up? Anyone with experience please let me know, I have about 10 swords that I can't do anything with. Thanks.

It depends on how you ship them, if they are small and the weather is half decent I ship using first class mail in a large bubble mailer envelope. This costs around $3.

If the weather is not so good, or the plants are large, you might want to go priority. You can get various boxes from the p.o. to use for free, I would not do flat rate unless the package is over 2-3lbs. Plants don't need much water (just enough to keep them damp) so this usually isn't an issue. For a large sword the 12x12x8 box may be your best option. Priority is usually 7-10 dollars depending on weight and region being shipped to. Any more than $10 and I usually opt for a medium flat rate (about $11) or if it's over $14 I opt for the large flat rate box (~$15).

I don't have any experience with other mail services as of yet, although I am considering taking up fedex as a main shipper next year when I start selling regularly.

If you have a printer, you can print your postage out online and have the mailman pick it up on his route.

Last time I had to ship some really really large swords I ended up using a huge bag and putting them into one of those poster tube things. I also had to ship them parcel post because the weight was quite high. Thankfully even though they were in transit 5 days they made it to their destination in good shape.

Last edited:
https://store.usps.com/store/browse...&categoryNavIds=catGetMailingShippingSupplies

You can get boxes for free from the Post Office, order at the website above, and the Rural Carrier will bring them to you. You can also print postage online and tape the label to the box.
Don't be scared about shipping plants, I live in the middle of nowhere and have had plants take over a week to get to me and they were just fine.

Plants

I am setting up a new to me 72 gal this week and can use additional plants that get large.

I have very nice quality USA petrified wood stones for trade if you might be interested. You can see pics of them in my albums under Petrified Wood Album. Details are in the text and to see good detail please click the pic to enlarge them. Better prices available for more than one stone and for trades!

Otherwise how much are you looking to get for the sword plants? (plus shipping?) I could probably use all of them. Are you using cO2 or ferts, special lights, temp, etc. Thanks!

I am setting up a new to me 72 gal this week and can use additional plants that get large.

I have very nice quality USA petrified wood stones for trade if you might be interested. You can see pics of them in my albums under Petrified Wood Album. Details are in the text and to see good detail please click the pic to enlarge them. Better prices available for more than one stone and for trades!

Otherwise how much are you looking to get for the sword plants? (plus shipping?) I could probably use all of them. Are you using cO2 or ferts, special lights, temp, etc. Thanks!

My tank is pretty stocked, as for hardscaping but thank you for the offer. I would sell them for $3 each. Shipping is the tricky part cuz I'm not sure if I should do overnite, 2-day, etc. Obviously, it gets cheaper the longer it takes. I'm thinking 2-day to be on the safe side; I get get prices from my local UPS.
As for the plants; they are probably about 3"-4" tall now with really good root growth. I won't trim anything; leaving that up to you so you can prep them as you wish. I do dose CO2 using sicce life device; here's a link on that (CO2 Life 1 - 2 - CO2 Systems - Aquariums and accessories - Sicce). Don't know exact strand of swords, as there are many, but they are pretty basic. I have a couple that have grown over 18" tall and touch the underside of my 125. Let me know if you are definitely interested and we can P.M. each other for details. Thanks for your interest! :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom