Set up advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckalisz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying my first attempt at a planted tank and just looking for some advice on my set up. I'll try to explain it fully. I have a 55g that has been established for years and usually stocked fairly heavily. I recently moved all my large fish to my sons 65g so that I could try plants. I currently have 10 neon tetras, 6 zebra danios, 6 odessa barbs, 4 Cory's, and what I believe to be a Siamese algae eater. Half of my tank has a 2x65 watt coral life light and the other has a standard 15 watt hood light. Lights are timed at 10hrs a day. For plants I currently have a java fern, some blue hygro, and wisteria. Im looking into adding a tiger lotus when I come across one. Oh ya and I just have basic blue gravel for substrate. Hopefully that is sufficient info for my questions.

First does the lighting seem sufficient for most plants on either side? I'm not looking to go too crazy with the plants, just want to have something natural in the tank.
Also I prefer to do without co2 injections. I don't mind some flourish excel and occasional supplimentation but would prefer to stay as basic as possible. I'm hoping my fish will provide most of what my plants need.

I've read so many differing opinions on this stuff I just thought I'd like to hear opinions on my specific situation.

Thank you for your input

IMO you have low light but at least a bit higher on the T5HO side of the tank. The plants you have will work in low light along with Crypts, Anubia's, and Bolbitus. You need to add root tabs under the Wisteria and on any Crypts or Tiger Lotus you get as they are heavy root feeders.

Using a liquid carbon daily would help plants better utilize what light is available. With larger tanks I suggest ordering a gallon of Metricide 14 Day Solution which is around $20. It's twice the strength of Excel or API CO2 Booster. You should dose it at 1ml per every 2 gallons of water daily. You also need the root tabs and I suggest using some type of ferts. Liquid ferts aren't very economical to use in large tanks and would suggest getting dry ferts.

Low light, really? 145 total watts over a 55g tank? I will agree that the 15w side is low, but the other side? Am I missing something?

I misread the other side bulbs. On that side are they T5HO's or Compact florescent? You could do a lot of other plants on that brighter side but since you have gravel and depending on it's size I suggest staying away from a lot of finer stem plants as they don't always do well in larger grained gravel.

With higher light you will have to use higher dosages of liquid carbon daily along with dosing dry ferts. The standard is the higher the light the more liquid carbon or CO2 and ferts are needed.

This is what I would suggest for ferts...
I use these ferts.... Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I also suggest 3 of these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Read this thread about dosing PPS-Pro but only read the opening post and not all the comment posts... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central.

There are two things I do differently than the thread is that I split my macro nutrients up using one dosing bottle for nitrates, and one dosing bottle for phosphates and potassium. This allows me for better custom dosing to the needs of my tank. I shoot for 10-20ppm of nitrate and 1-5ppm phosphates. The thread also has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate in the macro mix. If your tanks Gh is 4 or over then your tap water has enough magnesium in it that supplementing it is not needed.

Back
Top Bottom