Setting up first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting ready to set up a new 30gallon with live plants. I bought 1 bag of Seachem's Flourite and just a bag of estes gravel to mix witheach other. should i have the back of the tank higher and then slope the gravel towards the front?? does this in any way have any advantages or disadvantages????

You may want to try posting this in the Freshwater Planted Tanks forum. You'll get more responses.

I slope the substrate from front to back - about 2" in height over 18" in depth. It's just for aesthetics - you can see things in the back better, and it may make the tank look a little deeper. Only disadvantage might be that you can't put plants in the front that need a deeper substrate.

A planted tank's substrate layout is totally dependent on your plant layout. It can be high in some areas where there is a heavy concentration of plants, or the minimum where there is little or no plants.

Until you determine how your plants are going to be laid out (tall plants are usually in back or along the sides...smaller ones towards the front) the substrate will continuously change according to your needs.

Right now, I have sloping, canyons and thin layers all over the tank and at various locations. Driftwood, rock caves, etc. also play a role.

Back
Top Bottom