Shipping plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello all,

I'm currently reaquascaping an aquarium and put six large Swords up on Aquabid for a good home. They were simply to nice to toss onto the compost pile.

At any rate, the Swords are still in the tank. Seeing how Swords have a massive root system (they've been thriving in the tank for 10 months). Should I trim the roots back pryer to shipping them or just uproot them and ship the entire root ball. I'd hate to cut the roots back aggressively, only to have half the plant die when they reach thier new home.

This is the first time I have ever shipped plants. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I'd leave the roots on as they could have stored nutrients the plant will need while in transit. Earlier this week I sent a few plants to madasafish...wrapped in wet newspaper, put in a ziplock bag, then added a little extra water. Hopefully they got to him ok, but I won't know until he gets back from Japan.

I live in south africa, and our lfs only stocks about 3 types of plants. I want to get plants shipped from the usa or uk...do you think they would survive? I'm getting fed up with the selection of elodea and every now and again a sword. I would really like some glosso...

I'm sure most plants would survive a few days packaged the way Mr Burns suggested.

Does the RSA have import laws on plants?

I actually don't know. I will try and find out...
I'm looking for a nice carpet plant, apparently I should be able to get riccia here. Never seen it at the petshops though!

Hi,

I ship plants all the time--it is easy. Place them in plastic bags with just the water clinging to them. Knot the bag tightly---leave enough room so the plant is not bent. Place them in a box insulated with newspaper---add a heat or coldpack if you necessary(if you have on hand)---tape up the box securely and ship---I usually ship USPS priority, which costs between $5-7, but overnight services are good too.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom