Shipping plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez Neilanh, you are shipping plants already!!??

For swords, I'd personally double/triple bag in gallon ziplocks with a bit of tank water. pack in styrofoam to protect the leaves. just enough water to keep it wet and the root ball mostly submerged.

Ship express if possible.

Here's what I posted in a recent thread in the Barter/Trade section. Obviously for larger plants like swords you'll need larger baggies and boxes, but the rest should apply.

Purrbox said:
For shipping plants in general this is what I do.

Pick up a USPS Priority Box - 7"x7"x6", you can get this for free by ordering at least 10 online at www.USPS.com. Next you'll want some paper towel (plain white is best) and a plastic baggie (I prefer the ones with the zipper) big enough to hold the moss. Dip the paper towel in your aquarium water to get it damp (completely wet through but not sopping wet). Then wrap your moss in the paper towel and place it in the baggie. Get as much of the air out of the baggie without risking harming the plant and seal the baggie. Use packing peanuts, crumpled newspaper, etc to fill the box placing the baggie at the center. This will help keep the plant insulated and keep it from getting banged up during shipping. Mail via USPS Priority mail, which should only cost $4.05 if you kept the box under 1lb. The package will arrive in 2-3 days and as long as the temps where good, the plant should be in excellant condition. If you purchase the shipping online at www.USPS.com you get the Delivery Confirmation for free.

Good Luck!

I second that purrbox.........too much water only adds weight which adds cost.
All that is needed is to wrap the plant in a damp paper towel and drop it in a ziploc.

Plants are fine in transit for days......I have had some plants take over a week to get to me with no ill effects whatsoever.

I have bought plants onlive from liveaquaria.com (Foster and Smith) and their shipping was identical to Purrbox's description. So, that should be ideal. Liveaquaria.com recommends overnight or two day delivery.

I've had plants get stuck in the mail for 12-14 days from Canada to the States, they still got there in pretty good shape. All I do is wrap them in tank water moistened paper towel, stick em in a zip lock baggie. Pack your shipping box with newspaper and your all set.
Good luck!

Be sure to pack as loosely as you can without letting the plants move around. I've gotten stuff that's been "squished" in shipping because of too much packing.

Back
Top Bottom