Shock treatment !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cococalm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 5 aquariums of which only 2 contain fish. The other 3 are getting major overhauls .... something I have never done before. The 2 containing fish are in unplanted bare aquariums for now awaiting their new habitats.

I have many plants that unfortunately accumulated some algae on their leaves which I wish to remove. On some of these, the algae came off really easily with some light rubbing, but before I replant my tanks with these plants, I want to give them an ANTI ALGAE shock treatment to get rid of what remains. I know I can remove leaves, but this would completely destroy the majestic size and volume of the Anubias, Cryptocorynes and Echinodoruses. I realise that my action is drastic and something not recommended generally and this is why I separated everything out.

Whilst doing this I wish to also get rid of any eggs and surviving members of the "planorbe" family of snails ... these pesky flat ramhorn shaped snails of which I simply have too many ... I know, feeding was a problem, but being hospitalised for a lengthy period did not help matters as inexperienced people were left to care for my aquariums .... hence the need for the major overhauls.

So, my questions are the following ....

1. What substance can I use as a SHOCK TREATMENT against algae without having to remove the beautiful and bountiful leaves the plants have already ?

These same plants will then be transplanted into the renewed tanks for aclimatisation before adding fish.

2. Furthermore, what anti snail product can I use to ensure that my newly transplanted plants carry no eggs nor live snails into the new tanks?

(predator snails will be introduced later as eggs are often introduced with the foods given to the fish)

Thank you for the input.

I can't tell you what will work, but the common bleach/water dip to kill snails and eggs did not work for me.

Aside from a bleach / water solution ... You can also do try an H- peroxide dip... I've used straight peroxide to both clean off diatoms (still required some scubbing) and dip new plants to kill off snails.

I Recently read somewhere that if you supply the plants with enough iron then they will out compete algae......I also recommend getting some kind of fish/ snail to eat the algae. Quite frankly Id rather have snails then algae and snail are much easier to get rid of. And a great way I found out how to get rid of snails is to buy one clown loache...Hope I could help.

I Recently read somewhere that if you supply the plants with enough iron then they will out compete algae......I also recommend getting some kind of fish/ snail to eat the algae. Quite frankly Id rather have snails then algae and snail are much easier to get rid of. And a great way I found out how to get rid of snails is to buy one clown loache...Hope I could help.

I have a clown and skunk loach in my Asian tank and yes, they can be effective if you "keep them hungry". But they also kill my predator snails that are IMO more effective at killing other snails. The nice thing about the predator snails is that they eat normal algae and waste products when there no more snails to eat ..... they just wait for the next snail bloom !!

However, in my Amazon tank, I have nothing like the loaches to eat the snails.

I will look into the H-Peroxide though. As for IRON, I have always put Fero tabs in my tanks but to be honest, I have not remarked any marked difference.

Thx for your reply.

In respect to disinfecting new plants, you can try potassium permagnate dips. Jungle makes a product called 'Clear Water' thats an inexpensive PP product. Hydrogen peroxide or Excel dips work to kill algae. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom