Shopping list needs your expertise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of putting together 3 cubes forming one single 3ft long aquascape. they will have a finnex fugeray, filtration and heat, but I am not sure about CO2 yet. I will be using DIY dry ferts (Osmocote+ on gelatin caps or ice), liquid ferts, iron and Gluta. 2 of the tanks will feature one male betta and the third one will most likely be the heaviest on plants and a school of 4 female bettas. Please feel free to contribute as long as you know what you are talking about. ;)

-substrate: I am considering an organic soil mix to go under my dark sand.

-cheap blue led: the Finnex Fugeray doesn't allow the moonlighting to be on a timer independently, so I would like to have 1 to 3 LEDs just to make a nice transition between on and off.

-Background green plants: I would love some guidance on plants that are dense enough to completely block the view of the filter and heater. Anything different than water sprites will do, but some experienced members of this forum might guide me into something I don't even know.

-pictures! Yes, I am very visual, so if you see something that might be a good fit for this project, please link it right here.:)

Thank you.

Not sure about the LED's or substrate, but for the background plants- you want it to cover up the whole back wall? Some good plants would be any of the vallisneria species-jungle Val grows fastest and tallest- tall sword plants are more dense and leafy but will cover up the back walls nicely...

Jungle vals would be perfect, but they melt under excel treatment, and once trimmed, it seems that they don't do well...

My Val's haven't had any problems with my excel dosing, and the glut shouldn't bother them, but some people say trimming it will kill it, some people say their plants do just fine...not sure if there is a right or wrong way to trim vals!

Mines are not doing wellafter some trimming...:(

Attachments

• image-495122246.jpg
    image-495122246.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 57
According to the readings, the white ones would be more natural, but stronger than blues.

Do you recommend these white ones to a small tank like mine?

Hygrophila corymbosa Angustifolia would be a good background cover. The Angustifolia has the thinnest leaves giving it a nicer appearance than the bigger leaf Hydro's IMO. Also one of my favorite background plants that grows into a nice thick cover is Rotala Macrandra. It will turn pink to red in higher light and does great with Excel/Glut.

Thank you Rivercats, I was silently asking all the gods to bring you in to this thread.

If I am not asking too much, do you have a reliable source for them? I am going to order them right away!

Hygrophila corymbosa Angustifolia would be a good background cover. The Angustifolia has the thinnest leaves giving it a nicer appearance than the bigger leaf Hydro's IMO. Also one of my favorite background plants that grows into a nice thick cover is Rotala Macrandra. It will turn pink to red in higher light and dose great with Excel/Glut.

That's the plant I was trying to name! Lol I got some of this plant from Brian and I couldn't remember the name LOL.

I normally order from AquariumPlants.com BUT they are out of rotala macrandra AND since your in Florida you should order from ExtraPlant.com. I'm getting ready to place an order from them. They are in FL so it's a perfect place for you to order. When you go to thier website at the top left hand corner there are three flags. Click on the US flag so you'll go to the US selling site.

According to the readings, the white ones would be more natural, but stronger than blues.

Do you recommend these white ones to a small tank like mine?

I think i like the white ones better as it does seem more natural. But you're right, it might not appear to be like moonlights in a smaller area. If you like how the blue moonlights are on your Fugeray, you can expect to get similar results with the blue truelumens -- only that you can now put it on a separate timer. You can always try one of each, and exchange the one you don't like. Amazon sells them and their return policy is easy. If you get them, don't forget to buy the separate ac adapter.

Don't waste your money on the Crypt Wendti Florida Sunset. They are grown emmersed and that is where they have all their color. Once in the tank and growth changes over they slowly loose the bright colors and end up with some dull reddish and yellowish wash in the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom