Shorter plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, now that I've got that lighting thing figured out, I was wondering if anyone had a nice list of shorter plants that would make it in my 20L. I'd like to include some that have leaves floating on the surface of the water since I'm putting a butterfly fish in there and they like some shade to hide underneath. Also, I did the live plant thing before, but due to not enough light and underplanting, I developed a ton of algae and most of my plants died. So any recommendations for additives, vitamins, etc would be much appreciated. I'd kind of like to order the plants online and get them that way since I'll have more of a selection. Any advice is welcome.

One good kind of plant would be java fern because it dosen't get big and is probably the easiest live plant to take care of.

Hornwort can be floating, or even just partially floating, so some is draped across the surface but the bottom part is tucked under a piece of driftwood. I does not need to be planted. I have tons and tons of it and I love it. Very fast growing and good for sucking nutrients out of the water.

If you have a good substrate I have really enjoyed my red melon swords. The stay pretty short & produce beautiful oval burgundy-green leaves.. My pretty short I mean most leaves are under 2.5" up from the substrate but some reach up to 4". But hornwort will defintely be a help with the shade & nutrient removal.

Good luck.

Hornwort rocks and you can almost see it grow. My only complaint is how messy it gets. also I had it floating in my big tank and every time I reached in to do work on the tank the hornwort prickeled (is that a word?) my arm and I guess I have an allergy, I break out in a rash. I love my java fern, and the melon sword. Nice small compact sword that under the right conditions will grow very beautiful compact plants. Have you thought about moss balls? I love them, but have only been able to find them once local and that was a questionable petstore.
Most plants can just be pruned back to fit their tanks.

A tiger lotus might be good for floating leaves. I have a 29gal, and will often pinch off the leaves growing on the top of the water. You can buy them as dry bulbs at walmart for about $3 for two or three of them.

I don't know if all walmarts are the same, but mine sells two different sets of bulbs. You want the lilly kind. They are my favorite plant.

They are the red ones:

Back
Top Bottom