Shortest Photo Period

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have all low light plants, mostly stem plants. I'm only running 65 watts over my 55 gallon. What is realistically the shortest photo period I could put on the tank? I'm actually only running 8.5 hours right now. I was curious as to how short you could set the photo period.

While I have no input, I'm also interested in the correct way of determining the optimum photo period. Like how much is too much? and How much is not enough? and how to determine whats best

Hi,

i've found photoperiod puzzling so far in my 2 years of MTS.

My very low light 20G seems to not care if it is 8 or 11 hours light. Just grows slow with a little algae whatever. No dosing.

My big 46G corner tank gets fuzz algae and green spot on leaves when i try and up it to 9.5 - 10.5 hours. Seems to be happiest at 8.5 algae wise. Its about 2 wpg with EI dosing with plenty of phosphate in the water.

My 5.5G has about medium high light with mostly mosses and about 10 hours of light a day. It's got algae issues on bits exposed to the light too much, but ive not done any proper dosing for it yet.

ID hazard a guess that the answer would be totally dependant on the setup of the rest of the tank; parameters, plant mass, dosing method, light strength and type. With the perfect balance of those and the lighting duration to produce an algae free growing environment.

I've not seen much in the ways of hard and fast rules on light timing in my reading on aquatic plant growing. Other then the discussions about having a break in your light period to discourage algae and a vague memory of a chart somewhere that had a list of recommendations against tank size.

Is there one for tank size & lighting strength in approx wpg?

Best Regards,

John

The general recommendation is to keep your lights on for 8-12 hours. You might be able to get away with less then 8 hour though.

What is the reasoning for the photo period being that duration? Is there a minimal light threshold for plants or is it just not optimal for growth? I would love slower growing plants at times as it's sometimes frustrating to get the tank the way I want it and lose the look in a week.

I'll turn mine back to 7 hours and let you guys know if anything suffers.

Back
Top Bottom