Should i be lowering my pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
The pH in my tank is normally between about 8.5 and 9, this is obviously quite high alkaline, the fish seem fine, but should i be reducing it neutral?
I have purchased some pH down anyway, but i was just wondering what everyone thought before i go ahead.

The tank is a 30G planted with 3 botia striata, 2 oto's and 1 rainbow shark (added today, about 1 hour ago).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Glad you decided to "look" before you leaped. Using chemicals to lower your ph is not really a good thing. The chem's don't last long and your ph will shoot right back to it's normal level without warning.

If you really don't need to change it, don't. If you have to change it, doing it naturally is a far better method.

This article is really beneficial in that regard: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=40

Cool, thanks for that. Im not keen on using chemicals anyway, it just doesnt seem right to me. I'll give this article a read then.

My question would be why is your pH so high....Have you tested the water you are using ?? I would say small PWC (maybe every other day would be in order as to not stress inhabitants of your tank...but check your water supply first. Most municipal water supplies are between 7.0 and 7.2. Are you using a pH test kit for freshwater ??

i would assume he is using a "high range" PH test kit, and is getting a false reading because the water isn't with-in those contained in the test. Make sure you are using a freshwater PH test, not a high range one used primarily for marine aquariums.

I have 2 pH test kits, the first is the one i used to get the results for my first post, this kit is "tetra test pH" and it is for freshwater aquariums. The colour card ranges from 5.0 to 10.0. The result i got was between 8.5 and 9.

The second is new, just got it today, and is part of a master test kit. It has two pH test, "high range" and normal (6.0 to 7.6). I have just tested again using this kit and got 7.6 (7.6 being highest possible). I would say that my water is off the scale for this test?! So the first is more likely to be correct because it goes as high as 10.0.

my AP test kit with the "normal range" PH test shows 7.6 also, however I do the test again using the "high range" PH and it doesn't show at all.. thus my PH is 7.6 What is your reading when you use the "high range" PH test

I have a high and normal range as well. The normal range goes to 7.6 adn the high range starts at 7.4. If you are testing and you get 7.6 and then you test with high range and get 8 then your pH is 8. With mine i test my 55 gallon and get 7.6 and with the high range i get 7.8-8 (its just started to go up) with my 10 gallon i test 6.8 with the regular range test.

This is becuase there is driftwood in the 10 gallon and Limestone/flint in the 55 gallon.

elliott_001 (logged on in brothers account)

So organic items can lower the pH a bit? Because i read something about peat being used? But purposly trying to lower it could cause to many fluctuations?

I think my main question is, should i be looking to lower the pH? I dont really want to after reading the article about it.

8 seems a bit high to me, seen as the normal range is 6 to 7.6. Or will the fish be ok with this?

Thanks for the advice.

The basic thought is that the source of your fish may have the same ph as your tank, especially if you get them from your "true" LFS. Unless your LFS is doing something such as the article mentions to lower theirs (which is doubtful...but you can inquire), there is no reason to adjust yours. Imports from outside your locality is a different matter and you should always ask about this prior to your purchase.

I won't be changing the pH if the fish are fine. Our water pH is 8.0 out of the tap & the lfs keeps all kinds of fish in that just fine.

Fish will adjsut to a wide range of pH. It is far better to have stable pH than a "perfect" one. I don't think your fish are that particular about low pH anyway.

If you really want to lower pH, in a planted setup, best is CO2 injection. That would involve high light, lots of plants, pH meters/controller, etc. So I'd only go for that if you are really into plants.

Right, i did think that may be the case. Thats ok then. I did ask about the nitrates at the lfs (as they are a bit high too!) and they helped me out a bit. So some fish would have been bred locally and other they will import?

Peat and driftwood can both lower pH but may stain the water with tannins (which can be removed with activated carbon) Peat was just a PITA to keep becuase of the murky look it gave my tank but if you get a good enough peice of driftwood it might help.

I already have some pieces of wood in my tank, and plants. I dont want to change my pH unless i actually have to. I would much rather not have to do anything to the water, so avoiding any fluctuations which may cause stress. If i can leave it as it is, then great. I was just concerned that it may mean my fish will not thrive, or maybe i cant keep certain fish in the pH i have.

Livebearers, african frogs and african cichlids would love the high pH. Some gouramis, plecos, loaches and many other fish usually are fine with higher pH. Some fish such as rasboras and danios don't like high pH because of their natural waters, but would probably be ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom