Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Should I get Mystery Snails?

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting mystery snails for my planted 55 gallon. I love the way they look, and I also hoped they'd clean up any dead plant material. My specific questions are:
1. Will they really eat the dead plants and leave the healthy ones alone. I have plenty of dead leaves compliments of my large silver dollar, but I can't get rid of Big Stupid.
2. Will mystery snails be ok in my tank. I've heard that you have to lower the water level 3 or 4 inches or they will die, and they'd be housed with angels, cory cats, blue rams, and Big Stupid at 77 degrees with a ph of 7.2.

Thanks a bunch,
Debbie

Old 06-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You have to be careful when buying Mystery Snails, as several varieties are sold under the same name. Some are plant safe and others are plant eaters. If you get a plant safe variety they will be good for cleaning up dead leaves. I recommend visiting AppleSnail.net for pictures that will help you identify what you're looking at.

No need to lower the water level unless you want to allow them to breed, as some varieties need to lay their eggs above the water level for them to develop.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks Purrbox,
I should have been more specific. I've been looking at Pomacea bridgesii. Sounds like they'd be ok.
Debbie
Old 06-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Brigs are perfectly safe and would make a nice addition.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mystery snail, mystery snails, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com