Should I refrigerate ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlantis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 3 fertilizers today, Seachem Flourish, Iron, and Trace. The regular flourish says it is recommended that I refrigerate it. Should I put the other two in the fridge?

Hi Atlantis. You dont have to refrigerate either of the three if you dont want. What I do with my flourish is put it in a smaller container to itself where I can dose it, and I put the rest in the fridge until I need it again. It will all do fine without refrigeration though.

was it refrigerated at the store? probably not. the only reason that they say to refrigerate it is because it could turn into a major bacterial swamp, and the refrigeration will keep that to a minimal. just don't put any tank water back into the bottle and you should be fine without refrigerating it.

Sorry to hear you bought the tap water in a jar, Flourish Trace.

Rex Grigg said:
Sorry to hear you bought the tap water in a jar, Flourish Trace.

Really?? Flourish and potassium is good though right? Wow out of all companies, I didnt expect flourish to be a scammer. Say it aint so Rex!

ok Rex, instead of criticizing perhaps, why don't you tell Atlantis what brands you've had success with. not all of us are experts yet.

You guys I thought this thread said "should I refrigerate FARTS" and I was going to post "Please do NOT do this" but I just noticed it said ferts.

Is that scandinavian ("ferts, oly?")

Flourish trace is basically tap water. Look at the concentrations of the trace minerals in it. Also the Flourish potassium IMHO is not a good long term solution to dosing potassium in a tank of any size.

For trace minerals I use Plantex CSM with Boron added and water changes. For potassium I use K2SO4. It's all covered in my FAQ.

Totally off topic, but I did check out your faq Rex (and bookmarked it) and I have only one problem with it.

Why does it have a pic of a cockatoo and a cockatiel on it instead of a planted tank?? If your going to have pics of your birds on there, I expect some write-up about them as well; plus, it would nice to see some of your tanks on the site *grin*

The two birds are my buddies. And I have had them much longer than my planted tanks. In fact the Cockatoo helps with my duckweed problem. He loves to eat the stuff right off the surface of the water. You don't want to see my tanks. I have NO artistic talent at all. I just put the plants in there and watch them grow.

Hehe. That's sorta what Alli says (self-deprecatingly) about her tanks to me! But they look beautiful in her pics!

Your prerogative, of course.

Back
Top Bottom